Effects of applying higher voltage to pic16F88

In summary, the conversation discusses testing a PIC microcontroller (16F88) with a maximum voltage of 5V but accidentally applying 7V. The microcontroller did not function properly, but was still able to be reprogrammed and read from its flash memory. The individual wants to know if the microcontroller was damaged as a result of the 7V and is advised to use the proper voltage of 5V. They successfully tested the microcontroller with 4V and are now trying to toggle the state of pin 0. The conversation also mentions that other ICs may work to some extent but fail to do certain tasks and suggests using a different microcontroller for testing purposes.
okwatia
i was testing my pic microcontroller (16F88) but i forgot about the maximum voltage and applied 7volts to it. The microcontroller did not give me the expected result.To me it looks like it does not work but when i connect it to the programmer i am able to reprogram and even read from its flash memory. I want to know whether i have spoilt the microcontroller as a result of the 7volts.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think its fine. It simply won't operate on 7v. Hence why it seems not to work. Input the proper voltage. 5V I would suggest, and I think you will find that it is not damaged.

Thanks HickmanENG. I used 4Volts and it worked (when i set the states of the pins) . But i want to toggle the state of pin 0 of port B (RB0) and whenever i do that with about 2seconds delay the pin only remains in one state.
Please note that:
I am using the internal oscillator of the micocontroller.

I have seen ICs that work to some extent, but fail to do other things.

They are just a collection of components and it depends on what failed when you put too much voltage on it.

I hope your IC is OK, but I suggest you get another one and try it with the same program in it and see what happens.

I would first like to clarify that the maximum operating voltage for the PIC16F88 microcontroller is 5.5 volts. Therefore, applying a voltage of 7 volts to the microcontroller can potentially cause damage.

Based on the information provided, it is likely that the higher voltage has caused some damage to the microcontroller. This could be in the form of changes to the internal circuitry or damage to specific components. However, it is also possible that the microcontroller has some built-in protection mechanisms that have prevented it from being completely damaged.

It is important to note that simply being able to reprogram and read from the flash memory does not necessarily mean that the microcontroller is functioning properly. The damage caused by the higher voltage may have affected the performance and reliability of the microcontroller, even if it still appears to be functioning.

To determine the extent of the damage, further testing and analysis would be necessary. This could include voltage and current measurements, as well as functional testing of the microcontroller in different scenarios. It may also be helpful to compare the results to a properly functioning microcontroller under the same conditions.

In conclusion, it is likely that the higher voltage has caused some damage to the PIC16F88 microcontroller. It is important to adhere to the recommended operating voltage to avoid any potential damage or malfunction. Further testing and analysis would be necessary to fully assess the impact of the higher voltage on the microcontroller.

Related to Effects of applying higher voltage to pic16F88

1. What is the purpose of applying higher voltage to pic16F88?

Applying higher voltage to pic16F88 can increase the speed and performance of the device, making it more efficient in completing tasks and calculations. It can also improve the stability of the device and reduce the chances of errors or malfunctions.

2. Will applying higher voltage damage the pic16F88?

Yes, applying excessively high voltage to pic16F88 can cause damage to the device. It is important to follow the recommended voltage range specified by the manufacturer to prevent any potential damage.

3. Can applying higher voltage extend the lifespan of pic16F88?

No, while applying higher voltage may improve performance in the short term, it can actually decrease the lifespan of the device in the long run. This is because it puts more stress on the components and can cause them to wear out faster.

4. How do I determine the appropriate voltage to apply to pic16F88?

The appropriate voltage for pic16F88 is specified in the datasheet provided by the manufacturer. It is important to carefully read and follow the recommended voltage range to ensure the proper functioning and longevity of the device.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when applying higher voltage to pic16F88?

Yes, it is important to use caution when applying higher voltage to pic16F88. Make sure to use a power supply that is within the recommended voltage range and to properly ground the device. It is also recommended to monitor the temperature of the device and to avoid leaving it running at high voltage for extended periods of time.