Effects of a vacuum/ the expansion of the universe is accelerating

In summary: The cosmological constant is a proposed solution to the horizon problem in general relativity, where the universe appears to have an edge or "horizon" beyond which light has not had time to reach us. The cosmological constant would make this horizon disappear, by counteracting the force of gravity.In summary, the cosmological constant is a hypothetical energy density that exists in empty space. It has the potential to cause an accelerating expansion of the universe.
stepson
This is my 'virgin' attempt at intercourse in this venue, so please be roughly gentle.
(I.E.; this is my first post, I'm a bit slow (intellectually) but willing to learn. I tend to be somewhat playful in how I use words. I hope you will forgive me if I step outside the boundaries of appropriate decorum).
My question concerns the relationship between the effects of a vacuum and the expanding universe. Outside the event horizon of the theoretically known universe (if I'm not being too presumptuous) it would seem, to me, reasonable to suppose a void or vacuum. Would it not therefore seem reasonable to expect an accelerating expansion of said universe due to the combined effects of Newton's law of gravity within the confines of a void/vacuum?
Thank you for sharing you insights.
:confused:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
there is no outside the universe, their is outside the observable universe. We do not know if the universe is finite or infinite. Expansion describes the increase of commoving distances, we can choose any 3 coordinates and trace its expansion history.

The site at my signature has a good article to help you out.

http://cosmology101.wikidot.com/redshift-and-expansion

stepson said:
My question concerns the relationship between the effects of a vacuum and the expanding universe. Outside the event horizon of the theoretically known universe (if I'm not being too presumptuous) it would seem, to me, reasonable to suppose a void or vacuum.

Cosmologists do not believe there is an 'outside' to the universe.

Would it not therefore seem reasonable to expect an accelerating expansion of said universe due to the combined effects of Newton's law of gravity within the confines of a void/vacuum?
Thank you for sharing you insights.
:confused:

I don't see how. The average density of space results in very very little pressure that would cause an expansion. The integalactic medium has something like a couple of hydrogen atoms in every cubic meter of space, so they effectively never collide with each other. Also, Newtons law of gravitation is only attractive, so I don't see how it could have anything to do with an accelerating expansion. Besides, we KNOW Newtons law of gravitation is wrong, as General Relativity more accurately describes the observed gravitational effects.

stepson said:
Outside the event horizon of the theoretically known universe (if I'm not being too presumptuous) it would seem, to me, reasonable to suppose a void or vacuum.

There is no reason to presume that what lies beyond our limit of observation differs from what we see within the "observable universe". What we see is a uniform density of matter and radiation (over reasonably large scales) hence cosmologists presume the same continues beyond the observational limit. That is called the "Cosmological Principle":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_principle

Hi stepson...This forum is for discourse; intercourse may be found elsewhere. USe discretion the lords of the forum can be strict!

My question concerns the relationship between the effects of a vacuum and the expanding universe.

Hoover, Dyson, Orek et al need not apply here.

There IS something in an 'empty' vacuum. Turns out the energy there, called dark energy, also called the cosmological constant, has a negative pressure...an expansionary effect that causes large scale distance to increase. Right now that expansion is accelerating.

A decent introduction is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_constant

In cosmology, the cosmological constant (usually denoted by the Greek capital letter lambda: Λ) is equivalent to an energy density in otherwise empty space. It was proposed by Albert Einstein as a modification of his original theory of general relativity to achieve a static universe. Einstein abandoned the concept after the observation of the Hubble redshift...A positive vacuum energy density resulting from a cosmological constant implies a negative pressure, and vice versa. If the energy density is positive, the associated negative pressure will drive an accelerated expansion of the universe, as observed. (See dark energy and cosmic inflation for details.)...

Related to Effects of a vacuum/ the expansion of the universe is accelerating

1. What is a vacuum and how does it affect the expansion of the universe?

A vacuum is a space that is completely devoid of matter, including particles and radiation. In the context of the universe, a vacuum refers to the vast empty space between galaxies. The expansion of the universe is accelerating due to the presence of dark energy, which is thought to be a property of the vacuum. This dark energy exerts a repulsive force on matter, causing the expansion of the universe to speed up.

2. How do scientists measure the expansion of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the expansion of the universe, including observing the redshift of light from distant galaxies, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and analyzing the distribution of galaxies in the universe. These measurements allow scientists to track the rate of expansion over time and determine whether it is accelerating or decelerating.

3. What is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate?

The leading explanation for the accelerating expansion of the universe is the presence of dark energy. This mysterious form of energy is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe and is responsible for the repulsive force that is pushing galaxies apart. However, the exact nature of dark energy is still not fully understood and remains a subject of ongoing research.

4. What implications does the accelerating expansion of the universe have for the future of the universe?

If the expansion of the universe continues to accelerate, it is likely that galaxies will eventually become so far apart that they are no longer able to interact with each other. This would lead to a "cold and lonely" universe, with no new stars being formed and all existing stars eventually burning out. However, the exact fate of the universe is still uncertain and depends on the amount and behavior of dark energy.

5. Could the expansion of the universe ever slow down or reverse?

While the current evidence suggests that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, it is possible that this trend could change in the future. Some theories propose that the effects of dark energy may weaken over time, causing the expansion to eventually slow down or even reverse. However, more research is needed to fully understand the behavior of dark energy and its impact on the expansion of the universe.