Effective Strain Calculation for MEng Materials

• Thread starter darkelf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strain
In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding hydrostatic stresses and effective strain in relation to worn surfaces. The individual is seeking guidance on the equations involved and how to calculate equivalent strain using the shear angle of the interface. They also express confusion about the concept of strain in steel.
darkelf
Hi,

I need some help here. I'm an MEng Materials with no full background in engineering. So I'm in a bit over my head.

I'm trying to understand the concept of hydrostatic stresses and effective strain in connection to worn surfaces. I am told I just need to know the equations but then I'm a bit confused.

I'm trying understand how equivalent strain is calculated from the shear angle of the interface θ.

In other words how this equation came about

E (Z) = (square root of 3/3) * tan theta

Can anyone please guide/help me?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Stress is the ratio of applied force to the perpendicular area and strain is the ratio of. Change in length divided to the original length! What about the strain of a steel?

Related to Effective Strain Calculation for MEng Materials

1. What is the purpose of effective strain calculation in materials engineering?

The purpose of effective strain calculation is to accurately determine the amount of strain that a material undergoes during deformation. This is important in materials engineering as it allows engineers to understand how a material will behave under different loading conditions and make informed decisions about its use in various applications.

2. How is effective strain calculated?

Effective strain is typically calculated using the logarithmic strain formula, which takes into account the initial and final lengths of the material along with the change in length during deformation. This formula is considered more accurate than the engineering strain formula, which only considers the initial length of the material.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of effective strain calculations?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of effective strain calculations, including the type of material being tested, the loading conditions, and the method of measurement. It is important for engineers to carefully consider these factors and use appropriate techniques to ensure accurate calculations.

4. How can engineers use effective strain calculations in materials testing?

Effective strain calculations can be used in various materials testing methods, such as tensile testing, compression testing, and torsion testing. By accurately determining the amount of strain a material undergoes during these tests, engineers can assess its mechanical properties and make decisions about its suitability for different applications.

5. Are there any limitations to effective strain calculations?

While effective strain calculations are an important tool in materials engineering, they do have some limitations. For instance, they may not accurately capture the behavior of materials that undergo large deformations or strain hardening. In these cases, engineers may need to use other methods to accurately characterize the material's behavior.