Effective resistance of truncated conical cylinder

In summary, the problem involves finding the effective resistance between the top and bottom of a truncated conical cylinder of graphite with a bulk resistivity of ρ = 1/σ. This can be done by treating each cross section as a resistor in series and integrating over the height from 0 to L. The potential at any point between 0 and L is V(z) = (Vo/L)z and E = -Vo/L in the z-direction. The radius of each disk can be calculated using r = (b-a)h/L, and the overall resistance is found to be R = ρL/πab. There was an error in the integration, but it was corrected to give the correct result.
meteorologist1
Hi, I'm having trouble doing this problem:
A truncated conical cylinder of graphite (bulk resistivity [tex] \rho = 1/\sigma [/tex]). The top of the cylinder has radius r = a, the bottom has r = b (b>a). Find the effective resistance between top and bottom of the cylinder. Show that the expression reduces to the usual one ([tex] R = \rho L / A [/tex]) when a = b.

I know I need to do some kind of integration from a to b, but I really don't know how to set this up. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just treat all the tiny cross sections as a bunch of resistors in series. That is, get the resistance for each one in terms of p, r (which goes from a to b), and dy, and integrate over y.

Last edited:
The professor said we shouldn't need to solve Laplace's equation for this problem. I'm thinking the effective resistance is the sum of resistive disks in series. And the integration would be integrating the height from 0 to L.

But first of all, the potential at a point z in between 0 and L would be just V(z) = (Vo/L)z, and therefore E = -Vo/L in the z-direction.

About the integration, do I have to both integrate the radius from a to b AND the height from 0 to L. Or should there be some kind of relationship between the radius and height (radius as a function of height)?

Ok, by doing sum of resistive disks, I got to this point:
[tex] dR = \frac{\rho dz}{\pi r^2} [/tex]
where r is the radius of a disk at height dz. The problem now is how to relate r and z because I'm pretty sure there's a dependence between radius and height. thanks.

yea sorry about that, I realized there was a much easier way.

Well r goes from a to b linearly as h goes from 0 to L, that's just the equation for a line. r = (b-a) h/L

It's still not working out. r = b - (b-a)z/L, but I could not get the right resistance expression when a = b. There must be something wrong with this r expression.

Nevermind. I made a mistake in the integration. It came out to be this:
[tex] R = \frac{\rho L}{\pi ab} [/tex]

Thanks.

What is z?

If you measure h from top,

[tex] r = a + \frac{h(b-a)}{L}[/tex]

His "z" is nearly the same as your "h", except he's measuring from the other end.

Related to Effective resistance of truncated conical cylinder

1. What is the effective resistance of a truncated conical cylinder?

The effective resistance of a truncated conical cylinder is a measure of the resistance to flow through the cylinder, taking into account both the geometry of the cylinder and the properties of the fluid flowing through it.

2. How is the effective resistance of a truncated conical cylinder calculated?

The effective resistance of a truncated conical cylinder can be calculated using the formula R = (ln(r2/r1))/(2πLμ), where r1 and r2 are the radii of the base and top of the cylinder, L is the length of the cylinder, and μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid.

3. What factors affect the effective resistance of a truncated conical cylinder?

The effective resistance of a truncated conical cylinder is influenced by the geometry of the cylinder, the properties of the fluid flowing through it (such as viscosity and density), and the flow rate of the fluid.

4. How does the effective resistance of a truncated conical cylinder compare to that of a straight cylinder?

The effective resistance of a truncated conical cylinder is generally higher than that of a straight cylinder with the same length and base radius. This is due to the added surface area and changing cross-sectional area of the conical shape, which creates more resistance to flow.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the effective resistance of truncated conical cylinders?

Understanding the effective resistance of truncated conical cylinders is important in various engineering and scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and hydrodynamics. It is used to design efficient and effective structures, such as pipes and ducts, and to optimize fluid flow in various systems, such as engines and turbines.