Effective Resistance in Circuits: HC Verma Q&A

In summary, effective resistance is a measure of the overall resistance between two points in a circuit, taking into account the various resistors connected in between. It is calculated by dividing the voltage drop between the two points by the total current flowing between them. This can be simplified by replacing the multiple resistors with a single equivalent resistor. For simple combinations of resistors, the effective resistance can be easily determined. It is worth noting that the reference to H C Verma's book may not be familiar to all readers, so it may be helpful to provide the exact question in order to receive assistance.
annaka
Can anyone explain the concept of effective resistance between two points in a circuit. There are , on an average 6-7 resistors connected in every possible way in between the 2 points
for exampe refer to H C Verma questions
same for potential difference

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine that between those two points there is a voltage drop V and thus a total current I. The effective resistance is R = V/I. (In other words, for the purpose of seeing how that pile of resistors affects the rest of the circuit it connects to, you can replace those resistors with a single resistor of size V/I.)

For simple combinations of resistors it's easy to find the effective resistance. For example, two resistors in parallel (R1 & R2) have an effective resistance of R where 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2.

Hello

I would just like to add that Dr. HC Verma's book is common only in our country and I doubt if non-Indian forum users would be familiar with it. Hence if you are asking for help from a book published in India, please reproduce the exact question rather than referring to it. This helps people help you :approve:

Cheers
Vivek

Related to Effective Resistance in Circuits: HC Verma Q&A

1. What is effective resistance in circuits?

Effective resistance in circuits is the overall resistance that a circuit presents to the flow of current. It takes into account both the resistance of individual components, as well as the way they are connected in the circuit.

2. How is effective resistance calculated in series circuits?

In series circuits, effective resistance is simply the sum of all individual resistances. This is because the current has to pass through each component in order, and the total resistance is the combined effect of all the resistors.

3. How is effective resistance calculated in parallel circuits?

In parallel circuits, the calculation of effective resistance is more complex. It is calculated using the formula: 1/Reff = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Reff is the effective resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of components in the circuit.

4. How does the effective resistance change if a component is added in series or parallel to a circuit?

In series circuits, adding a component will increase the effective resistance, as there is more resistance for the current to overcome. In parallel circuits, adding a component will decrease the effective resistance, as there are more paths for the current to flow through.

5. Can the effective resistance of a circuit be negative?

No, the effective resistance of a circuit can never be negative. Resistance is a physical property that always has a positive value. If the calculated effective resistance is negative, it means there was an error in the calculation or the circuit was not properly connected.