Effective mass, Taylor's theorem

In summary, the effective masses along the two axes are defined by means of the Taylor's expansion of the function around its minimun. The cross product is included in the Taylor's expansion, but is eliminated when the wave vectors are orthogonal.
chimay
Hi,

I'm starting to study conduction in semiconductor and I have a doubt about the concept of effective mass. Let's suppose to deal with an dispersion relation in two dimensions; basically, the effective masses along the two axes are defined by means of the Taylor's expansion of the function around its minimun. During lessons, we used the following formula:
[tex] E= E_{min} + \frac{{\hbar}^2}{2{m_{1}}^*} {k_{1}}^2 + \frac{{\hbar}^2}{2{m_{2}}^*} {k_{2}}^2 [/tex]

In particular my question is the following: Taylor's expansion for a two variables function includes also cross product like K1 * K2. Are we simply neglecting it?[/PLAIN]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chimay said:
Hi,

I'm starting to study conduction in semiconductor and I have a doubt about the concept of effective mass. Let's suppose to deal with an dispersion relation in two dimensions; basically, the effective masses along the two axes are defined by means of the Taylor's expansion of the function around its minimun. During lessons, we used the following formula:
[tex] E= E_{min} + \frac{{\hbar}^2}{2{m_{1}}^*} {k_{1}}^2 + \frac{{\hbar}^2}{2{m_{2}}^*} {k_{2}}^2 [/tex]

In particular my question is the following: Taylor's expansion for a two variables function includes also cross product like K1 * K2. Are we simply neglecting it?
[/PLAIN]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem[/URL]

Thank you

The two dimensions are orthogonal, hence [tex]\overbar{k_1} \text{ and } \overbar{k_2} [\tex] are also orthogonal, so the scalar product of the two would be zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answer.

Can you please explain me where does the following formula need to be changed as a consequence of the orthogonality of the two vectors?
[tex] f(x_{0} + h, y_{0}+k) = f(x_{0},y_{0}) + f_{x}(x_{0},y_{0})h+ f_{y}(x_{0},y_{0})k + \frac{1}{2}[f_{xx}(x_{0},y_{0}){h}^2 + 2f_{xy}(x_{0},y_{0}) hk+ f_{yy}(x_{0},y_{0}){k}^2]+ R(h,k)
= f(x_{0},y_{0}) + \frac{1}{2}[f_{xx}(x_{0},y_{0}){h}^2 + 2f_{xy}(x_{0},y_{0}) hk+ f_{yy}(x_{0},y_{0}){k}^2]+ R(h,k) [/tex]

Thank you

Of course there can be mixed terms, but you can eliminate these with a suitable choice of your axes.

I don't understand how, can you please explain it to me by means of an example?
In my case [tex] h = k_{1} , k = k_{2} [/tex]

How can [tex] h k = k_{1}k_{2} [/tex] be zero?

Thank you a lot

Edit: I'm sorry for the layout, how can I write an equation in Latex alligned to the text?

chimay said:
I don't understand how, can you please explain it to me by means of an example?
In my case [tex] h = k_{1} , k = k_{2} [/tex]

How can [tex] h k = k_{1}k_{2} [/tex] be zero?

Thank you a lot

Edit: I'm sorry for the layout, how can I write an equation in Latex alligned to the text?
##k_1, k_2## are vectors, you therefore have to take the scalar product between them. If, by sensible choice of axis, the wave vectors are orthogonal, then the scalar product is zero, in which case there are no cross terms.

But in the relationI posted in #3 they are just the increments along the two orthogonal axes x and y, and they are still included in the formula.
It is obvious there is a misunderstanding by my side, but I don't get what is the point.

Ok, so maybe you can find an orthogonal transformation of the axes so that the mixed term vanishes?

But in the case of the formula in #1, defining the effective masses, K_1 and K_2 are orthogonal and, from a mathematical standpoint, they behave like the axes x and y...

Then someone has already used the freedom to orient the coordinate system so that the mixed terms vanish.

So, basically, should I trust that someone, should I?

Thank you very much!

Related to Effective mass, Taylor's theorem

1. What is effective mass in physics?

Effective mass in physics refers to the mass of a particle or system that is used to simplify calculations in certain situations. It takes into account the interactions between particles and the surrounding environment, making it a more accurate measure of the particle's behavior.

2. How is effective mass different from regular mass?

Effective mass takes into account the effects of the surrounding environment on a particle, while regular mass only considers the intrinsic properties of the particle itself. Effective mass is often used in situations where the particle is interacting with other particles or a medium, while regular mass is used in more simplified scenarios.

3. What is Taylor's theorem and how is it related to effective mass?

Taylor's theorem is a mathematical tool used to approximate the behavior of a function near a specific point. In the context of effective mass, Taylor's theorem is used to expand the equations that describe the behavior of a particle near its equilibrium point, allowing for a more accurate calculation of the effective mass.

4. How is effective mass used in semiconductor physics?

In semiconductor physics, effective mass is used to describe the behavior of electrons and holes in a crystal lattice. The effective mass of these particles is affected by the periodic potential of the lattice, allowing for a more accurate description of their behavior in the material.

5. Can effective mass be negative?

Yes, effective mass can be negative in certain situations. This occurs when the particle is in an energy band where its behavior is opposite to that of a free particle. In such cases, the effective mass is still a useful concept for describing the particle's behavior, even though it may have a negative value.