Introduction to twistor theory

In summary, someone knows where introductory information about the theory of twistors can be found, but the website with this information is currently not working.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
does someone know where may i find itroductory information about
twistor theory?
im asking because the website of twistor theory with introduction
paper is currently not working.
thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks.

There exist also a theory called Supertwistor theory, that is twistor theory with the incorporation of supersymmetry

LoopQG what is the link to the regular site?
(which you say is not working right now)
wolram, that 1987 paper by Penrose that gives a
personal account of how he arrived at twistors
had some interesting and understandable parts---
thanks for a good reference!

as far as hardcopy goes
for introductions to twistors
selfAdjoint says he has Huggett and Tod
which is one of halfdozen introductions mentioned in
the Witten paper,

as introductions the paper recommended numbers
15, 28-32 from its list of references:

[15] M. A. H. MacCallum and R. Penrose, “Twistor Theory: An Approach To The Quantization Of Fields And Space-Time,” Phys. Rept. 6C (1972) 241.

[28] R. Penrose and W. Rindler, Spinors And Space-Time: Volume 1, Two-Spinor Calculus and Relativistic Fields, Volume 2, Spinor And Twistor Methods In Spacetime Geometry (Cambridge University Press, 1986).

[29] R. S. Ward and R. O’Neil Jr. Wells, Twistor Geometry And Field Theory (Cambridge University Press, 1991).

[30] L. P. Hughston, Twistors and Particles, Lecture Notes in Physics 97 (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1989).

[31] T. N. Bailey and R. J. Baston, eds., Twistors In Mathematics And Physics, London Mathematical Society Lecture Notes Series 156 (1990). 93

[32] S. A. Huggett and K. P. Tod, An Introduction To Twistor Theory, London Mathematical Society Student Texts 4.

I haven't ever laid eyes on any of these. But the fact that selfAdjoint already owns [32] Huggett and Tod is something of a recommendation.

I am still curious to know if anyone has found some sort of introductory twistor textbook ONLINE. Could one be buried in PF's "napster" links?

Originally posted by marcus
LoopQG what is the link to the regular site?
(which you say is not working right now)
wolram, that 1987 paper by Penrose that gives a
personal account of how he arrived at twistors
had some interesting and understandable parts---
thanks for a good reference!
here it is:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~tweb/

thanks LQG, I tried it too, and just got a blank-white page
if you try again later, and it works, please let us others know
I will do the same

Here's info about the Penrose transform, that I think is of central importance in twistor theory:
http://www.msri.org/calendar/workshops/WksInfo/4/show_info [Broken]
By the way, what's an ambitwistor space? Perhaps our old friend Ambitwistor can respond to it?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is twistor theory?

Twistor theory is a mathematical framework developed by Roger Penrose in the 1960s that seeks to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity. It involves using complex mathematical objects called twistors to describe the geometry of spacetime.

2. How does twistor theory differ from traditional theories of physics?

Twistor theory is unique in that it focuses on the geometric structure of spacetime rather than the traditional approach of using particles and fields. It also allows for a more elegant and intuitive description of physical phenomena, such as the scattering of particles and the behavior of black holes.

3. What are some applications of twistor theory?

Twistor theory has been applied to various areas of physics, including quantum field theory, general relativity, and cosmology. It has also been used in the study of gravitational waves and the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions.

4. Is twistor theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

While twistor theory has gained some traction in certain areas of physics, it is still considered a relatively new and controversial theory. Many scientists are still exploring its potential and testing its predictions.

5. How can I learn more about twistor theory?

There are many resources available for those interested in learning more about twistor theory, including books, articles, and online lectures. It is a complex and advanced theory, so a strong background in mathematics and physics is recommended for a deeper understanding.