Effective Deflection of a beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of effective deflection at the center of a rectangular plate with fixed sides and dimensions of 600mmX92mmx2mm. The density of the material is 1170kg/m3 and the modulus of elasticity is 2.5GPa. The conversation also mentions the use of lightweight materials and the possible inaccuracy of the calculated deflection. The conversation provides a solution for calculating deflection and suggests the option to alter the model for different load cases.
Arjun menon
I have a plate of 600mmX92mmx2mm. All the four sides are fixed.How can I calculate the effective deflection at the center due to self weight considering the deflection in longitudinal and transverse direction?
Density of material 1170kg/m3
Modulus of elasticity 2.5GPa

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Engineers quick solution - deflection will probably be very little .

Otherwise just search on ' deflection of a rectangular plate ' to find the standard analytic solution .

Come back if you have any problems .

That combination of material properties suggests that you are using some lightweight material such as plastic sheet .

If you are then be aware that your calculated value for deflection may not be very accurate . Order of magnitude will probably be ok but don't rely on the exact figure .

Likes Arjun menon
Nidum said:
That combination of material properties suggests that you are using some lightweight material such as plastic sheet .

If you are then be aware that your calculated value for deflection may not be very accurate . Order of magnitude will probably be ok but don't rely on the exact figure .
Thank you Nidium... Yea I am using some kind of POM. Just like a diffuser...If I calculate the deflection 2 dimensional then the longitudinal deflection comes around 10mm and in transverse direction its around .005mm. But in actual condition the sum effect of longitudinal and transverse deflection determines the scenario and I just wanted to know how to calculate the same. May be the order of magnitude will be enough.

Last edited:
PF Plastic plate v1.png

Likes Arjun menon
ABS . Gravity load only .

Nidum said:
Thats awesome!Thank you so much for the help. I believe the magnitude is in mm...

Yes mm . So deflection is very small .

Very easy to alter the model if you want to try another load case .

Likes Arjun menon
Nidum said:
Yes mm . So deflection is very small .

Very easy to alter the model if you want to try another load case .
Thank you so much Nidum...Your help is much appreciated... :smile::smile::smile:

Related to Effective Deflection of a beam

1. What is the definition of effective deflection in a beam?

Effective deflection in a beam refers to the amount of displacement or deformation that a beam undergoes when subjected to a load. It is a measure of the flexibility and strength of the beam and is an important factor in determining the overall stability and structural integrity of a beam.

2. How is effective deflection calculated in a beam?

Effective deflection in a beam is typically calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli equation, which takes into account the beam's dimensions, material properties, and applied load. There are also various software programs and online calculators available to assist with these calculations.

3. What factors can affect the effective deflection of a beam?

The effective deflection of a beam can be influenced by several factors, including the type of material used, the shape and dimensions of the beam, the magnitude and distribution of the load, and any external forces or constraints on the beam.

4. How can the effective deflection of a beam be minimized?

To minimize the effective deflection of a beam, engineers can use various techniques such as increasing the beam's stiffness by using a strong and rigid material, reducing the load on the beam, or using additional support structures such as columns or braces.

5. What are some common methods for controlling the effective deflection of a beam?

Some common methods for controlling the effective deflection of a beam include using different types of beams (such as I-beams or trusses), adding reinforcements or braces, varying the beam's cross-sectional shape, and adjusting the beam's support and loading conditions.