Effective cross-sectional area

In summary, when calculating the cross-section area for a toroid core, you can use the formula (OutsideRadius - InsideRadius) x Height. However, it is important to also consider any additional factors such as shape factor (S.F.) or non-magnetic materials in the core. It is recommended to refer to the manufacturer's datasheet for the most accurate calculation.
Sudalai
Hello sirs,
How to calculate the cross-section area too toroid core? kindly explain this

Engineering news on Phys.org
Toroid.png

(OutsideRadius - InsideRadius) x Height = Cross Sectional Area
(0.155 - 0.078) x 0.125 = (0.077) x .125 = 0.009625 Cross Sectioanl Area

Likes anorlunda
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Sudalai said:
Hello sirs,
How to calculate the cross-section area too toroid core? kindly explain this
You can also look at the manufacturer's datasheet for the core you are using. The core cross-section may not be exactly square, depending on the core. The area will usually be listed in the datasheet to be used as part of the calculation of the magnetic properties of the core...

https://product.tdk.com/info/en/products/ferrite/index.html

Tom.G said:
View attachment 241233
(OutsideRadius - InsideRadius) x Height = Cross Sectional Area
(0.155 - 0.078) x 0.125 = (0.077) x .125 = 0.009625 Cross Sectioanl Area
Dear Mr, tom
I saw a lot of websites I got these formula
OD-ID/2*H OR OD-ID/2*H*S.F, which one is correct

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

You can also look at the manufacturer's datasheet for the core you are using. The core cross-section may not be exactly square, depending on the core. The area will usually be listed in the datasheet to be used as part of the calculation of the magnetic properties of the core...

https://product.tdk.com/info/en/products/ferrite/index.html
View attachment 241269

Thanks for your reply this will be helpful to me

Likes berkeman
Sudalai said:
Dear Mr, tom
I saw a lot of websites I got these formula
OD-ID/2*H OR OD-ID/2*H*S.F, which one is correct
I don't know what "S.F." is so I can not answer that.

I can guess that "S.F." is Shape Factor to account for shapes that are not rectangles. If the cross section is round or oval and not a rectangle, then a Shape Factor correction would be needed to find the area.

Many catalogs ignore rounded corners because that make very little difference in the calculations. The variations in the core material itself is larger than slightly rounded corners.

Also, some parentheses are needed in the above to get the math correct.
(OD-ID)/2*H

Cheers,
Tom

Likes berkeman
Dear Tom,
S.F means stacking factor refer to below link

Ahh, OK... S.F. is used to account for the percentage of the overall core that is NOT magnetic material, but is insulation, glue, potting compound, etc.

I have not used strip-wound cores so I was not familiar with the term. The ferrite cores that I am used to have an effective S.F. of 1 and it is left out of the formula. Addressing your question directly, of the formulas you asked about, the one that includes S.F. is more complete.

S.F. is left out when it is close enough to 1 to ignore, or when the manufacturer has already taken it into account when quoting the permeability.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Sudalai

Related to Effective cross-sectional area

1. What is effective cross-sectional area and why is it important in science?

Effective cross-sectional area refers to the area of a cross-section of a material or object that is actually available for a specific purpose. In science, it is important because it affects the efficiency and effectiveness of various processes, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and electrical conductivity.

2. How is effective cross-sectional area calculated?

The effective cross-sectional area is calculated by taking into account any obstructions or irregularities in the cross-section that may affect the desired process. For example, in fluid flow, the effective cross-sectional area would be the area of the channel or pipe minus the area taken up by any obstructions, such as valves or fittings.

3. What factors can affect the effective cross-sectional area of a material or object?

Several factors can affect the effective cross-sectional area, including the shape and size of the object, the presence of obstructions or irregularities, and the material properties, such as density and porosity. Temperature and pressure can also impact the effective cross-sectional area in certain processes.

4. How does effective cross-sectional area impact the performance of a system?

The effective cross-sectional area directly affects the performance of a system by determining the amount of material or fluid that can flow through a given area. A larger effective cross-sectional area allows for a higher flow rate, while a smaller effective cross-sectional area can cause restrictions and decrease performance.

5. How can effective cross-sectional area be optimized for maximum efficiency?

Effective cross-sectional area can be optimized by carefully designing and selecting the shape and size of an object or material. This may involve minimizing obstructions, using materials with favorable properties, and considering the effects of temperature and pressure. Computer simulations and experiments can also be used to determine the most efficient cross-sectional area for a specific process.