Effect of wind speed on running

In summary, the person is asking if there is a calculation to determine the difference in running speed when facing wind resistance, specifically at 10mph with 15mph wind against them. They are referencing articles on velocity, drag, and inertia, and are questioning the accuracy of a website's wind difference calculator. They also mention the importance of considering individual factors such as body weight and height in the calculation. However, they note the lack of information and references on the website's methodology.
Jank
Hi guys,

I'm an arts undergrad student with very little knowledge of the sort of physics I'm about to ask.

I was wondering if there is a calculation to work out the differentiation between running at a particular speed say 10mph against wind coming towards you at 15mph. As well as it being on flat & say the person being about 60kg and about 1.7 metres tall (average person).

Obviously if there was no wind against you, you would runner faster, and even faster with wind behind you.
Whats the calculation (in layman's terms) to work out the difference?

I've linked some articles below which I've read and tried to understand, I know its something to do with velocity, drag and inertia.

Thanks for taking your time!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://jap.physiology.org/content/48/4/702
https://www.brunel.ac.uk/~spstnpl/Publications/WindAccuracy(Linthorne).pdf
http://rmseura.tkk.fi/rmlehti/1997/nro2/RakMek_30_2_1997_1.pdf
http://engineeringsport.co.uk/2011/05/04/the-loneliness-of-the-long-distance-physicist/

Physics news on Phys.org
Just wanted to add that I am a runner and the reason I started thinking about this was because I wondered if this website:

http://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

Has a legitimate way of calculating wind difference.

From what I remember of drag on an object in fluid dynamics ( air is a fluid), the drag force is proportional to the velocity squared with a constant of proportionality which is related to the cross-sectional area and fluid density (but also has some 3D shape dependence because of laminar-turbulent flow effects). Look for calculations of terminal velocities of free falling objects for example. Without knowing how the calculation is actually performed on the website it is difficult to judge how accurate it will be. It is unlikely that such calculations are likely to be absolutely accurate without calibration (to determine the constants of proportionality in the drag force for a given individual) but it is likely that they will be indicative. It would appear that Jack Daniels has tables, presumably of experimental measurements which are used in the calculator, but the website contains no reference to this data or discussion of the theoretical basis on which it is derived. It may be described in Jack Daniel's book, which is not referenced, but is presumably available. A case of insufficient information at this point on which to judge whether the approach is scientifically based and valid.

Related to Effect of wind speed on running

1. How does wind speed affect running performance?

Wind speed can greatly impact a runner's performance. When running against a headwind, the resistance of the wind makes it more difficult for the runner to maintain their pace. This can result in a decrease in speed and an increase in energy expenditure. On the other hand, a tailwind can provide a boost in speed and make it easier for the runner to maintain their pace.

2. What is considered a favorable wind speed for running?

The ideal wind speed for running is generally considered to be around 5-10 miles per hour. This provides enough resistance to challenge the runner, but not so much that it significantly hinders their performance. However, this can vary depending on the individual's fitness level and running experience.

3. How does wind direction affect running?

Wind direction is also an important factor to consider when it comes to running. When running against a headwind, it is recommended to lean slightly into the wind to reduce its impact. When running with a tailwind, it is important to be cautious and not let the wind push the runner too fast, as this can lead to a faster pace than intended.

4. Can running in windy conditions be dangerous?

Running in windy conditions can pose some risks, particularly if the wind is extremely strong. Strong winds can make it difficult to maintain balance and can even cause debris or branches to fall, potentially causing injury. It is important to exercise caution and adjust your running route or pace accordingly in very windy conditions.

5. How can wind speed be incorporated into training for runners?

Wind speed can be incorporated into training for runners by using it as a resistance training tool. Running against a headwind can help to improve strength and endurance, while running with a tailwind can provide a speed boost and help with pacing. It is important to vary wind conditions in training to prepare for different race day scenarios.