Effect of voltage on resistance wire life expectancy?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a 30kW air heater with resistance wire, but there is uncertainty about the type of wire being used and the potential impact of the extra voltage on the element's life expectancy. It is noted that the extra voltage could result in the element being hotter than anticipated, which could be dangerous. The idea of using a step down transformer is suggested, but it is noted that they may be hard to find and expensive. The possibility of renting a 415v heater is also mentioned, as well as the difficulty in finding an off-the-shelf air heater with the required output temperature. Finally, the suggestion of hiring an electrician to get 380v service is mentioned.
kyle pender
I am using a 30kW air heater which is using resistance wire. I am not exactly sure what type of wire it is and hope this will not be an issue in answering this question.

The heater is rated at 380V and 45amps(max)...my supply is 415VAC (+ 6% and - 10%) and 45amps.

Any idea if this extra voltage will effect the life expectancy of the element?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably bad - if the rating of 380 and the supply of 415 are apples-to-apples numbers. The power dissipated in the element is V^2/R, so the element will be hotter than the heater design anticipates. This is dangerous to do with a heater, imo.

If there is a fan in the heater, the fan motor is potentially going to react poorly to being over-voltaged.

http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.com/electronics/training_course/images/bulbs_life_expectancy1.jpg

Incandescent bulbs also heat wires, so this curve should be relevant. Pay attention to what @Grinkle said about safety, especially with so much power involved. you could burn the place down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a step down transformer be an option?

A transformer would work, but it might be hard to find and expensive. If this is temporary and not permanent, Renting a 415v heater might be the cheapest solution.

Yeah, I just had a quick look and they are extremely expensive...more than the heater itself! I am having trouble sourcing an off-the-shelf air heater which can provide the output temperature I need (at least 750°C at an air flow rate of 40-55 SCFM).

How about an electrician to get you 380v service?

Related to Effect of voltage on resistance wire life expectancy?

1. How does increasing voltage affect the lifespan of resistance wire?

Increasing voltage can significantly decrease the lifespan of resistance wire. This is because higher voltage levels cause the wire to heat up more, leading to faster degradation and breakage of the wire. This can result in a shorter overall lifespan of the wire.

2. Is there a specific voltage level that is optimal for the longevity of resistance wire?

There is no one specific voltage level that can guarantee the longest lifespan for resistance wire. It is important to consider the type of wire, its composition, and the intended use when determining the optimal voltage level. Generally, lower voltage levels are better for increasing the lifespan of resistance wire.

3. What factors besides voltage can impact the lifespan of resistance wire?

Besides voltage, other factors that can impact the lifespan of resistance wire include the type and quality of wire material, the temperature and environment in which the wire is used, and the amount of stress and strain the wire experiences during use. Proper installation and maintenance can also play a role in extending the lifespan of resistance wire.

4. How can I determine if the voltage level is too high for my resistance wire?

To determine if the voltage level is too high for your resistance wire, you can monitor the wire's temperature and resistance over time. If you notice a significant increase in temperature or a decrease in resistance, it may be an indication that the voltage level is too high. It is also important to follow manufacturer recommendations and conduct regular maintenance to ensure the wire is not being subjected to excessive voltage levels.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to using high voltage with resistance wire?

Yes, there are safety concerns when using high voltage with resistance wire. High voltage can cause the wire to overheat and potentially lead to electrical fires or other hazards. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when working with high voltage and resistance wire to prevent accidents and ensure the longevity of the wire.