Effect of the magnetic field on a charged object's inertia.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an electron being accelerated by an electric field and the potential impact of its magnetic field on its final velocity. The question of whether the electron has a higher "inertia" mass due to its magnetic field is also raised. The conversation also touches on the idea of an electron's effective mass in a semiconductor. Overall, the topic centers around the relationship between an electron's motion and its magnetic field.
Envergure
A question many of us repeatedly solved in high school goes like this: An electron is accellerated a certain distance by an electric field of a certain strength. Determine its final velocity.

I and my teachers always treated this as a simple F=ma question, but recently it's occurred to me that a moving charge has a magnetic field, and magnetic fields store energy. Does that mean the electron would end up moving more slowly because some of the energy that goes into the electron goes into the magnetic field? Does this mean the electron has an "inertia" mass higher than its "gravity charge" mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are saying that some of the energy that may otherwise have gone into the motion of the charge gets stored in it's magnetic field?

This does not change the inertia of the object though, just it's kinetic energy.
Have a go working out how big the effect is.

I don't believe that magnetic field of a single particle can store energy. I think you are referring to the effect of induction, which is different.

Of course in the semi-classical model of transport in a semiconductor, an electron is treated as having an effective mass different from it's rest mass.

Related to Effect of the magnetic field on a charged object's inertia.

What is the effect of the magnetic field on a charged object's inertia?

The effect of the magnetic field on a charged object's inertia is that it causes the object to experience a force known as the Lorentz force, which can alter its motion and momentum.

How does the magnetic field affect an object's inertia?

The magnetic field affects an object's inertia by creating a force that acts on the charged particles within the object, causing them to accelerate and change the object's motion and momentum.

What is the relationship between magnetic field and inertia?

The relationship between magnetic field and inertia is that the magnetic field has the ability to alter an object's inertia by exerting a force on the charged particles within the object.

Can a magnetic field change an object's inertia?

Yes, a magnetic field can change an object's inertia by exerting a force on the charged particles within the object, altering its motion and momentum.

Is the effect of the magnetic field on a charged object's inertia significant?

Yes, the effect of the magnetic field on a charged object's inertia can be significant, especially in situations where the magnetic field is strong and the charged object is moving at high speeds.