Effect of rotational inertia on gravity or visa versa

In summary, The conversation discusses the rotational axis of gravitationally bound systems, such as binary star systems and spinning galaxies. The concept of inertia is brought up and it is questioned whether there is resistance to a change in the axis. The possibility of a net torque on the rotational axis is also considered, as well as the idea of tidal gravity from the rest of the galaxy. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the scenario of two galaxies approaching each other and the potential effects on their rotational axes. It is acknowledged that this scenario is complex and not fully understood.
Scott444
Hi,
I wonder if a gravitationally bound system ...like a binary star system (or a spinning galaxy for that matter) has a similar inertia in its rotational axis like your classic spinning top? Is there resistance to a change in the axis?
I appreciate the system is not solid and so not obviously analogous but is there even a small net torque on the rotational axis of gravitationally bound bodies when the orbiting bodies axis is askew as compared with the encompassing rotational axis/gravity vector?
Isn't the body (of the orbital system) that is nearer the galaxy centre of mass (at anyone time) then being pulled away from its orbital partner which then adjusts ...
I'm thinking maybe there is a tendency to preserve the rotational axis direction ... since otherwise wouldn't older galaxies have the rotational plane of its solar systems more radially aligned (flattened) with respect to the galaxy rotation? (perhaps they do?)
If there is a net torque wouldn't that torque on rotational axis be using up ..so to speak, the gravitational energy at that point as compared with gravity acting on an equivalent non rotating systems centre of mass ? ...Many thanks for any response assuming if I have made enough sense.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Scott444 said:
I wonder if a gravitationally bound system ...like a binary star system (or a spinning galaxy for that matter) has a similar inertia in its rotational axis like your classic spinning top?
Yes.
Scott444 said:
Isn't the body (of the orbital system) that is nearer the galaxy centre of mass (at anyone time) then being pulled away from its orbital partner which then adjusts ...
Tidal gravity from the rest of the galaxy? Completely negligible.
Scott444 said:
since otherwise wouldn't older galaxies have the rotational plane of its solar systems more radially aligned (flattened) with respect to the galaxy rotation?
There is nothing that would do such an alignment, even for a disk that doesn't rotate, even if tidal gravity would be strong enough to have an effect (then you would just get wobbling).

mfb said:
Tidal gravity from the rest of the galaxy?
Thanks mfb - if the case has it that 2 galaxies of say diameter D approach each other - one on the horizontal, the other say 45 degrees to it, their centre of masses both lying on the same horizontal plane and their peripheries are say less than 10D apart which I imagine provides for a clear difference in felt gravity (from the other galaxy) between the leading and trailing edges.
Isn't the leading edge (considering just the galaxy we're imagining is at 45 degrees ) going to be pulled down towards the horizontal plane relative to its galaxy's existing rotational axis? And as it rotates and different stars become that leading edge - and so that edge and all stars exposed to that edge are forced off their previous rotational plane ... does that cause, any change in the galaxy's rotational axis / is it possible to imagine a torque being applied to the rotational axis as a result of the leading edge perturbation? ...I'm slightly befuddled .. seems as if I'm trying to imagine a force that isn't gravity ..anyhow thanks for anything you might offer here. :)

If they get too close, they deform and merge in complex ways. Galaxies are not solid disks, the individual parts can move in completely different directions. There are various simulations, e. g. this one or this one.

nice link thank you - complex indeed. oh shucks my scenario didn't envisage such quick closing velocities relative to rotational speed ...

Well, the rotational velocity is smaller than the escape velocity at that point. The galaxies cannot approach each other slower than the rotation velocities.

Related to Effect of rotational inertia on gravity or visa versa

What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is affected by the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

How does rotational inertia affect gravity?

Rotational inertia does not directly affect gravity. However, it can indirectly affect gravity by affecting an object's shape, mass, and distribution of mass, which can impact its gravitational pull.

What is the relationship between rotational inertia and gravity?

The relationship between rotational inertia and gravity is indirect. Rotational inertia can impact an object's shape, mass, and distribution of mass, which can then affect its gravitational pull.

Does rotational inertia impact an object's weight?

No, rotational inertia does not directly impact an object's weight. Weight is determined by an object's mass and the strength of the gravitational force acting on it.

How can we measure the effect of rotational inertia on gravity?

The effect of rotational inertia on gravity can be measured by conducting experiments that vary the mass and distribution of mass of an object while keeping the gravitational force constant. The resulting changes in rotational inertia and gravitational pull can then be compared to observe the relationship between the two.