Effect of Phase Lead Compensator on Phase and Gain margins

In summary: Phase margin is the margin between the phase at the 0dB crossover frequency and -180. Gain margin is the margin between the output level and the level at which the system becomes unstable due to feedback. In summary, a phase-lead compensator adds a "leading" (positive) phase to the loop gain, which can stabilize the system by preventing it from going into negative feedback and becoming unstable.
AnkleBreaker

Homework Statement

What is the effect on the phase and gain margins of a system when a Phase Lead Controller/Compensator is added?

Homework Equations

I have designed the phase lead controller for the system so if anyone wants to see it, please ask

The Attempt at a Solution

I know, that in general, stability margins are increased, but I am unsure as to why.

Physics news on Phys.org
AnkleBreaker said:

Homework Statement

What is the effect on the phase and gain margins of a system when a Phase Lead Controller/Compensator is added?

Homework Equations

I have designed the phase lead controller for the system so if anyone wants to see it, please ask

The Attempt at a Solution

I know, that in general, stability margins are increased, but I am unsure as to why.

do you know what phase and gain margin are?
in words, not mathematically

donpacino said:
to start, why don't you put up a bode plot of your system with and without the controller.

answer this for me. what happens when the phase crosses zero before the gain crosses zero?

Thank you for your reply.

donpacino said:
Gain Margin is the amount of gain that can be added to the system before the system becomes unstable
Phase Margin is the difference of the phase at the 0dB crossover frequency and -180

donpacino said:
to start, why don't you put up a bode plot of your system with and without the controller.
Original:
bode_original.jpg

Modified:
bode_modified.jpg

donpacino said:
answer this for me. what happens when the phase crosses zero before the gain crosses zero?
I'm not really sure of the answer to that question

those look like closed loop bode plots, can you show me the open loop plots?

when the phase crosses zero before the gain crosses zero, your system will become unstable. That is due to the fact that you will get positive feedback when you close the loop. once the gain crosses zero, your system is attenuating, and you are in the green.

so your phase margin is how much margin you have in your phase before your system goes unstable. you want a good deal of phase margin in a real system for a variety of reasons.

1. component tolerances
2. temperature variations
3. noise in your system
4. changes in load.
and more!

your phase and gain margin will also effect your systems responses to changes in input.

AnkleBreaker said:

Homework Statement

The answer is contained in the question: A phase-lead compensator adds a "leading" (positive) phase to the loop gain.
If you know that in case of a marginally phase margin the (negative) loop phase is too close to the critical values, it is clear that addition of a certain amount of positive phase (in the critical frequency region around the cross-over frequency) will improve the margin.

Related to Effect of Phase Lead Compensator on Phase and Gain margins

1. How does a phase lead compensator affect phase margin?

A phase lead compensator increases the phase margin by introducing a phase lead in the frequency response of the system. This additional phase lead shifts the phase curve to the left, resulting in a larger phase margin.

2. Can a phase lead compensator improve gain margin?

Yes, a phase lead compensator can improve gain margin by introducing a gain boost in the frequency response. This boost increases the gain at the crossover frequency, resulting in a larger gain margin.

3. What is the purpose of a phase lead compensator?

The main purpose of a phase lead compensator is to improve the stability of a system by increasing its phase and gain margins. It is commonly used in control systems to ensure robust and stable performance.

4. How does the placement of a phase lead compensator affect its performance?

The placement of a phase lead compensator in the frequency domain can significantly affect its performance. Placing the compensator too close to the crossover frequency can cause instability, while placing it too far away may not improve the margins enough.

5. Can a phase lead compensator be used to compensate for system delays?

No, a phase lead compensator cannot compensate for system delays. It can only improve the phase and gain margins by introducing a phase lead and gain boost in the frequency response. System delays require a different type of compensator, such as a phase lag compensator, to be properly compensated for.