Effect of massive spring on static vs dynamic experiment

In summary, when measuring the spring constant (k) using a vertical spring-mass (M) configuration, there are two methods to consider: the static method, which involves calculating elongation vs weight and finding a linear fit of the data, and the dynamic method, which involves measuring the period and calculating k using the formula k=w2*m. In the static method, the weight to be considered is w = (springmass/2 + M)*g, while in the dynamic method, the weight is m = M + (springmass)/3. It is important to use an effective mass when using the dynamic method. When considering viscous effects, the effective mass correction still applies as it adds an external force that does not affect the kinetic
Tulzz
I've been reading about this but I couldn't find a conclusive answer.
I have to measure the spring constant (k) using a vertical spring-mass (M) configuration and using two different methods:

- static method: I calculate elongation vs weight and find a linear fit of the data (the slope is K)
- dynamic method: I measure the period and calculate K using K=w2*m

I don't know what mass i need to use to calculate K.

In the static measure, the weight i consider is: w = (springmass/2 + M)*g
In the dynamic method I am supposed to use: m = M + (springmass)/3

Am I missing something? I don't fully understand the static measure correction of the mass.
sorry for my english and for the format (first post)
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A small portion of the spring has mass = m / L dx
This portion of the spring has velocity = x * v / L
Now write dE and integrate x from 0 to L giving 1/2 (m/3) v^2

I guess i didn't express myself well. I know I have to use an effective mass when measuring K using a dynamic measurement technique. I don't fully understand the mass correction in the static case and why is it springmass/2 instead of springmass/3 as in the dynamic case.
Another question i have is if the effective mass correction still stands when considering viscous effects. I guess it does, because it just adds an external force that doesn't affect the kinetic energy in the lagrangian formulation. Am i right?
Thanks!

Tulzz said:
I guess i didn't express myself well. I know I have to use an effective mass when measuring K using a dynamic measurement technique. I don't fully understand the mass correction in the static case and why is it springmass/2 instead of springmass/3 as in the dynamic case.
Another question i have is if the effective mass correction still stands when considering viscous effects. I guess it does, because it just adds an external force that doesn't affect the kinetic energy in the lagrangian formulation. Am i right?
Thanks!

I've never used this but perhaps you could write
dF = k x dm = k m x dx / L since dm = m dx / L
Integrating that will give F = k m L / 2 for the restoring force due to the mass of the spring.

J Hann said:
I've never used this but perhaps you could write
dF = k x dm = k m x dx / L since dm = m dx / L
Integrating that will give F = k m L / 2 for the restoring force due to the mass of the spring.
That works, but to clarify, x here is the distance that it would be from the top of the spring to a point in the spring, were the spring in its relaxed state (so not the actual distance).
To see why the dynamic effective mass is different, consider how fast the different parts of the spring move. Which part moves fastest? Where in the (compressed) spring is the linear density greatest?

Thanks a lot! I have one final questión: if I am studying the damped oscilator dynamics, do i still have to use the effective mass correction??

Tulzz said:
Thanks a lot! I have one final questión: if I am studying the damped oscilator dynamics, do i still have to use the effective mass correction??
I'm fairly certain you should.

Related to Effect of massive spring on static vs dynamic experiment

1. What is the difference between a static and dynamic experiment?

The main difference between a static and dynamic experiment is the application of force. In a static experiment, the force applied is constant and the object being tested does not move. In a dynamic experiment, the force applied is changing and the object being tested is in motion.

2. How does the use of a massive spring affect a static experiment?

A massive spring will have a greater resistance to force, meaning that it will be harder to stretch or compress compared to a lighter spring. This can affect the outcome of a static experiment as the amount of force required to move the object will be higher.

3. What impact does a massive spring have on a dynamic experiment?

In a dynamic experiment, a massive spring can affect the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations of the object being tested. The higher mass of the spring can result in slower and smaller oscillations compared to a lighter spring.

4. Can a massive spring be used in both static and dynamic experiments?

Yes, a massive spring can be used in both types of experiments. However, the results may differ due to the differences in force and frequency affecting the behavior of the object being tested.

5. How do you account for the effect of a massive spring in an experiment?

To account for the effect of a massive spring in an experiment, the mass and stiffness of the spring should be measured and taken into consideration when analyzing the results. This can be done by using mathematical formulas or by calibrating the equipment beforehand.