Effect of Magnitude & Direction on Organpipe's Note

In summary, the conversation is discussing a section in "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein that explains the principle of relativity and its application to different scenarios. The example given involves an organ pipe and how its orientation can affect the emitted note if the principle of relativity did not hold. The conversation also clarifies that this difference in pitch is not related to the Doppler effect and is just an example of what might happen if the principle of relativity did not hold.
Rodrigo.D.L.M.
I am reading "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein, and in orden to continue reading with full understanding, I would like someone to please clarify one thing for me (or most likely more than one).

In the section dealing with "The Principle of Relativity (in the restricted sense), Einstein explains that "In the general laws of nature... ...with reference to K, the magnitude and direction of the velocity of the carriage would necessarily play a part." He goes on to exemplify saying that "the note emitted by an organpipe placed with its axis parallel to the direction of travel would be different from that emitted if the axis of the pipe were placed perpendicular to this direction."

I would like to know if I am understanding this right. Is the fact that the organ's note will sound different, depending on the position of its axis, due to the doppler effect? Is this difference what he calls in the following paragraph the anisotropic property resulting from the difference of the position of the axis of the organpipe? If this was the case, then I understand that if the axis of the organ is parallel to the direction of travel of the carriage, then the organ would be moving along with the carriage and the note would sound normal to a listerer on the carriage but different to someone on the enbankment. Conversely, if the axis of the organ is perpendicular to the direction of the carriage then the note would sound normal to a listener in the enbankment but different to someone traveling in the carriage.

Am I in the right trend of thought? Or did I go off the course?

I would appreciate your comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not an expert, but this is how it looks to me...

Your quote is leaving out the important part... he is describing what would be expected of Galilean co-ordinate systems if the principle of relativity (in the restricted sense) did not hold. The difference in pitch from different orientations is an example of what might happen, but has nothing to do with Doppler.

He might have used a better example than pitch because so many will jump to the Doppler effect, but that effect is irrelevant to what he meant to express. The note is being emitted in the carriage and the pitch of the emitted note is "there"... he is positing that the pitch might change "there" at the emission point based on orientation if the relativity principle did not hold; nothing to do with how it might be heard from a distance subject to motion of the carriage.

So, it is not a fact that the organ note would sound different... he is suggesting that if it were a fact that the principle of relativity did not hold, then something like this might be observed. It is an unfortunate example.

Doppler is when you hear a pitch shift due to relative motion with respect to the source. The shift is about one semi-tone for each increment of 10 mph.

His example might also be a little confusing because relativity covers uniform relative motion, orientations of rotation, and arbitrary position locations.. The different organ pipe directions are particular rotation orientations, but his example has them also translating in uniform motions... he maybe should have used a simple example ... maybe temperature or pressure or something... like the temperature to boiling water at STP or the rate at which a pressure difference moves a piston.

Related to Effect of Magnitude & Direction on Organpipe's Note

1. How does the magnitude of an organpipe affect its note?

The magnitude of an organpipe refers to the size or length of the pipe. The longer the pipe, the lower the frequency of the note produced. This is because the longer pipe allows for a longer wavelength and lower frequency sound waves to be produced.

2. Does the direction of airflow affect the note produced by an organpipe?

Yes, the direction of airflow does affect the note produced by an organpipe. When air is blown into the pipe, it creates vibrations that produce sound waves. The direction of airflow can impact the strength and stability of these vibrations, thus affecting the pitch and quality of the note produced.

3. How does the magnitude of an organpipe's diameter affect its note?

The diameter of an organpipe also plays a role in the note produced. A wider diameter allows for more air to flow through, creating a louder and deeper sound. On the other hand, a narrower diameter produces a higher pitched sound with less volume.

4. Can the direction of airflow be manipulated to change the note produced by an organpipe?

Yes, the direction of airflow can be manipulated to change the note produced. By changing the angle at which air is blown into the pipe, the vibrations and sound waves produced can be altered, resulting in a different note. This technique is often used by organ players to create a variety of sounds and melodies.

5. How do changes in magnitude and direction affect the overall sound of an organpipe?

Changes in magnitude and direction can have a significant impact on the overall sound of an organpipe. The magnitude affects the pitch and volume of the note, while the direction of airflow can alter the quality and character of the sound. By adjusting both of these variables, a wide range of notes and tones can be produced, creating a diverse and dynamic sound from an organpipe.