Effect of magnetic field on radio waves

In summary, the classical theory of electromagnetism states that there is no effect on radio waves from other electromagnetic fields, while in QED the effects become self-interacting. This effect is negligible for all practical purposes, but is still worth mentioning. For discussion of balls and inclined planes in classical physics, quantum mechanics is not necessary. Finally, he provided explicit examples of macroscopic objects, so it is helpful to clarify whether or not quantum mechanics is necessary for this discussion.
ASHUPLC393
Hello all

I have been trying for sometime now to find the effects that magnetic field has on radio waves (such as cell phone signals and wireless broadband signals). If anyone of you could guide me towards right direction, would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Ashutosh

Physics news on Phys.org
Within the classical theory of electromagnetism electromagnetic fields are not self-interacting, i.e., nothing happens to your radio wave, whether or not other electromagnetic fields are present.

In QED due to quantum effects the em. field becomes self-interacting, but this effect can be neglected for practical purposes with radio waves.

Easy. No effect.

really even in QED it self interacts?

Sure, that's the four-photon vertex. In leading order it's a box diagram with four external photon legs and electron-positron lines running around the box. It's a fourth-order effect inperturbation theory, i.e., of order [tex]\alpha^2[/tex] in the cross section. This is also known as the "Delbrück-scattering diagrams".

Let's get real here. Yes, there is an infinitesmally small QED effect. One that is absolutely undetectable with radio waves and magnets.

This is one thing I am growing to dislike about this forum. Someone asks a simple question with a simple answer, and a bunch of people confuse the OP with technically correct and utterly irrelevant complications. Needlessly complicating a problem does not make one look smart.

I emphasized already in my first reply that the QED corrections are negligible for all practical purposes. Nevertheless I think it's good to answer questions correctly according to our present knowledge of physics.

I disagree - he posted in Classical Physics, so a quantum mechanical answer is unlikely to be helpful. When someone wants to discuss balls and inclined planes in this section, do we insist on quantum mechanics? Furthermore, he gave explicit examples of macroscopic objects.

It does people no good to confuse them with overly complex answers that are not relevant to the information requested. Like I said, the goal is to make something complicated simple, not something simple complicated.

Related to Effect of magnetic field on radio waves

1. How does a magnetic field affect radio waves?

When a radio wave travels through a magnetic field, it causes the wave's electric and magnetic fields to interact with the charged particles in the field. This interaction can cause the radio wave to change direction or be absorbed, resulting in a weakened signal or total loss of reception.

2. Can a magnetic field block radio waves?

Yes, a strong enough magnetic field can block or significantly weaken radio waves. This is because the magnetic field can alter the direction and strength of the electric and magnetic fields in the radio wave, preventing it from reaching its intended destination.

3. How does the strength of the magnetic field impact radio waves?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the behavior of radio waves. A stronger magnetic field can cause a greater disruption in the wave's electric and magnetic fields, resulting in a more significant effect on the radio wave's path and intensity.

4. Can the direction of a magnetic field affect radio wave transmission?

Yes, the orientation of the magnetic field can impact the direction and intensity of radio waves. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the radio wave, it can cause the wave to refract or bend, altering its path. Additionally, a magnetic field that is parallel to the direction of the radio wave can cause interference and result in a weakened signal.

5. Are there any positive effects of a magnetic field on radio waves?

In some cases, a magnetic field can actually improve radio wave transmission. For example, in a phenomenon known as the Faraday effect, a magnetic field can rotate the polarization of a radio wave, allowing it to pass through obstacles or travel longer distances without losing strength. Additionally, magnetic fields are used in devices like antennas to focus and amplify radio waves for better reception.