Effect of continuous refueling on decay heat

In summary, the decay heat rate in a 3000 MWth reactor with 3.2% mU-enriched U02 assemblies that stay in the core for 3 years before being replaced was compared in two cases: 1) when the core was replaced in two batches every 18 months and 2) when fuel replacement was so frequent that refueling could be considered a continuous process. The equation used was P/Po = 0.066((t-ts)^-0.2 - t^-0.2), where t referred to the time since the last batch of fuel was replaced in case 1 and the time since the last fuel replacement in case 2.
wasija
Estimate the decay heat rate in a 3000 MWth reactor in which 3.2% mU-enriched
U02 assemblies are being fed into the core. The burned-up fuel stays in the core for 3 years before being replaced. Consider two cases:

1. The core is replaced in two batches every 18 months.

2. The fuel replacement is so frequent that refueling can be considered a continuous process. (Note: The PHWR reactors and some of the water-cooled graphite-moderated reactors in the Soviet Union are effectively continuously refueled.)

Compare the two situations at 1 minute , 1hour, 1day, 1month, and 1year.

I would really appreciate some help.

I am supposed to use the following equation

P/Po =0.066((t-ts)^-0.2 - t^-0.2)

But i don't understand what t is in case 1 and case 2.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as I know, only pebble bed or liquid fueled reactors are refueled continuously.

The PHWRs, e.g., CANDUs and derivatives, and perhaps RBMKs (some of the water-cooled graphite-moderated reactors in the former Soviet Union ), can be refueled 'on-line', i.e., while the unit is operating. On-line refueling is not the same as continuous refueling.

When looking at decay heat of the fuel, one would have to consider time of operation. If one is considering decay in the core, one would have to consider each batch.

In a two batch core, one batch is operating for some time in the current cycle, while the older batch has been operating the same time as well as the time in the previous cycle.

Let's say a core has a cycle burnup of 18 GWd/tU, and is half-way through a cycle. Then, assuming the batches are sharing comparable power distribution, one batch has a burnup of 9 GWd/tU, and the older batch (half of the core) would have a burnup of 27 GWd/tU, and thus two different rates of decay power.

For a continuous refueling, one would have to look at the irradiation time for each set of fuel assemblies in the core. On-line refueling can approach continuous refueling if small sets of assemblies - e.g., 4 or 8 as might be the case in a CANDU, are added on the basis of several days, or weekly.

So rather than 1/2 core reload every 18 months (547 calendar days), one could reload ~1% of the core every day or two. I haven't run the numbers, but one would have to determine the batch fraction and reload schedule assuming some uniform period between reloads.

for your question. I am not an expert in nuclear reactors, but here is my understanding:

In case 1, t would refer to the time since the last batch of fuel was replaced, which would be 18 months. So for example, at 1 minute after the last batch was replaced, t would be 0.00034722 (1 minute = 0.00034722 years).

In case 2, t would refer to the time since the last fuel replacement, which is essentially a continuous process. So at 1 minute after the last fuel replacement, t would still be 0.00034722, and it would continue to increase as time goes on.

In both cases, ts would refer to the time since the fuel was initially loaded into the reactor, which is 3 years.

I hope this helps clarify the equation for you. Let me know if you have any further questions or need more explanation.

Related to Effect of continuous refueling on decay heat

What is the "Effect of continuous refueling"?

The "Effect of continuous refueling" refers to the impact of continuously adding fresh fuel to a nuclear reactor on the decay heat produced by the spent fuel. This process is essential for maintaining the reactor's power output and preventing a buildup of radioactive materials.

How does continuous refueling affect decay heat?

Continuous refueling has a significant impact on decay heat. Adding fresh fuel to the reactor reduces the overall concentration of radioactive materials, leading to a decrease in decay heat production. However, the decrease is not immediate, as some radioactive isotopes have longer half-lives and continue to produce heat even after fresh fuel is added.

Why is the study of continuous refueling important?

The study of continuous refueling is essential for understanding and managing the decay heat produced by nuclear reactors. As decay heat is a significant contributor to the overall heat output of a reactor, continuous refueling plays a crucial role in controlling and stabilizing the reactor's temperature and preventing accidents.

What are some potential risks associated with continuous refueling?

One potential risk associated with continuous refueling is the introduction of new fuel assemblies with different burnup levels. This can lead to uneven power distribution and potentially cause damage to the reactor core. Another risk is the handling and storage of spent fuel, which can be highly radioactive and pose a health hazard to workers.

How can the effects of continuous refueling be mitigated?

The effects of continuous refueling can be mitigated through careful planning and management of the reactor's fuel cycle. This includes monitoring the burnup levels of fuel assemblies and strategically placing them in the reactor core to maintain a balance of power output. Proper handling and storage procedures for spent fuel also play a crucial role in mitigating potential risks.