Effect of Bundling on Transmisson Line Inductance

• Thread starter shivad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conductors
In summary, bundling of conductors decreases the inductance of a transmission line due to the increase in effective conductor size. This effect can be seen in both power lines where all the wires are at the same potential, and in insulated wires carrying different signals at high frequency. The decrease in inductance is more significant as the mean geometric radius of the bundled conductor increases. Capacitance between the wires in the bundle may have an effect, but it is not the main factor in reducing inductance. More information and theory on bundling can be found in the provided PowerPoint presentations. However, it should be noted that the links to these presentations may become invalid in the future.
shivad
Hi everyone!
I am new to this forum.
Can anyone help me to find any reference about this question:
"What is the effect of bundling on decreasing the inductance of a transmission line?"
I will be very grateful for any help.
:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Gee, that is an interesting question that I never thought of before. Could the capacitance between the wires in the bundle have an affect?

It's not capacitance since the conductors in the bundle have the same electric potential.

See slides 3-8 and 15 of this PowerPoint presentation
courses.ece.uiuc.edu/ece476/lectures/ECE4762005Lect5.ppt (use save target as)

For a bundled conductor of mean geometric radius Rb,

the inductance is given by [tex] \frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}\,ln(\frac{D}{R_b}) [/tex],

and the inductance decreases as Rb increases. Compare this result with L for a single conductor.

There is more theory with the same notes on bundling in
courses.ece.uiuc.edu/ece476/lectures/ECE4762005Lect6.ppt

These course notes may be time limited, i.e. the links will be invalid at some point in the future.

More questions

I see in the case of like a power line, but I thought it was a bundling of Insulated wires carrying different signals at high frequency. So the potentials in that case will not be the same. What happens then? Does capacitance make any difference in that case? Would inductance be reduced? Or is it only in the "power line" case where all the wires are at the same potential that we get reduced inductance?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

wildman said:
I see in the case of like a power line, but I thought it was a bundling of Insulated wires carrying different signals at high frequency. So the potentials in that case will not be the same. What happens then? Does capacitance make any difference in that case? Would inductance be reduced?
As far as I know, the cables in the bundles are not insulated from each other, and are at the same potential for a particular phase (in a 3 phase system). Also, the cables in the bundle are at the same AC frequency, 50 Hz or 60 Hz depending on country, and each of 3 phases is at the same frequency.

Certainly if the cables in the bundles were at different potentials, there would be some capacitance, and then there would be the effect of the "LC" in the circuit, which is a matter for power lines anyway during transients such as lightning strikes or rapid load changes. The phases certainly have differences in potential among each other and with the ground (neutral).

Or is it only in the "power line" case where all the wires are at the same potential that we get reduced inductance?
If one reads the notes to which I linked, one sees that bundling creates an effectively larger hollow conductor, which has the effect of reducing inductance.

Related to Effect of Bundling on Transmisson Line Inductance

1. What is bundling and how does it affect transmission line inductance?

Bundling refers to the practice of grouping multiple transmission lines together to form a single larger line. This increases the overall diameter of the line, which in turn reduces the inductance. This is because the magnetic fields from each line cancel each other out, resulting in a lower overall magnetic field around the bundled line.

2. How does the number of bundled lines impact the inductance?

The number of bundled lines has a direct impact on the inductance of the transmission line. As the number of lines increases, the inductance decreases. This is due to the increased cancellation of magnetic fields within the bundle.

3. What are the benefits of bundling transmission lines?

Bundling can provide several benefits, including reducing inductance and improving the power transmission capacity of the line. It can also reduce corona discharge, improve voltage regulation, and increase the overall efficiency of the transmission system.

4. Are there any drawbacks to bundling transmission lines?

While bundling can provide many benefits, there are also some drawbacks to consider. Bundled lines are more complex and expensive to construct, and they require more maintenance than single lines. In addition, they can be more susceptible to damage from severe weather conditions.

5. How does the spacing between bundled lines impact the inductance?

The spacing between bundled lines also plays a role in the inductance of the transmission line. As the spacing increases, the inductance also increases, since there is less cancellation of magnetic fields. However, increasing the spacing too much can result in a decrease in the benefits of bundling, such as increased corona discharge and reduced power transmission capacity.