Effect of aqua regia on P, S, C and Si?

• Thread starter allistair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Si
In summary, the sample contains P, S, C and Si (+4 metals). Aqua regia may have no effect on the P, S, C or Si that are also in the sample, but the non-metallic compounds will be analyzed by different methods.
allistair
I've got a sample containing 8 substances: P, S, C and Si (+4 metals) which i need to analyse. I was planning on using aqua regia to dissolve the metals, remove the 4 substances that aren't metals (and deal with them later ^^) and then use atomic absorbtion spectroscopy to measure the metals' levels but I was wondering if the royal water would have any effect on any of the P, S, C or Si that are also in the sample?

At first glance I would say it would have no effect, but I've never worked with agua regia before and it seems to be a rather peculiar mixture :). Anyone have any experience with this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
allistair said:
I was wondering if the royal water would have any effect on any of the P, S, C or Si that are also in the sample?

In what form are these? Are you actually given red/white/black phosphorus? Is it a phosphate? Is it part of something organic?
Is this part of a powder, or is the sample a solution with sediment on the bottom?

The OP's sample may just be an alloy. AAS will give you concentrations for non-metallic components too.

The sample is a powder and the P, S, Si and C are present in their 'elemental form' (not sure about the english word... but I mean that they're not bonded with another element).

I also have some rough amounts btw:

Si: 0 < x < 1g
S: 0 < x < 0.1g
P: 0 < x < 0.1g
Mn: 0 < x < 1g
Ni: 0 < x < 0.1g
Cr: 0 < x < 1g
Cu: 0 < x < 1g
C: 1-2% of total sample

But i should be able to detect the non-metallic compounds as well? I thought this technique only worked for metals in solution. I was assuming the non-metallic compounds wouldn't dissolve either.

Last edited:
Usually treatment with aqua regia involves boiling the sample to near dryness. Nothing but the silica should resist that treatment. The P will be oxidized to orthophosphate. The S will be oxidized to sulfate (if it isn't already sulfate) but not before it is oxidized to sulfite (which is volatile and will be lost). Carbon will be lost as CO2. Silica will remain in solid form. To analyze the non-metals (perhaps with the exception of P), you will need to withold some of the original sample and analyze it by different methods.

thank you for your assistence, much appreciated :)

chemisttree said:
Usually treatment with aqua regia involves boiling the sample to near dryness. Nothing but the silica should resist that treatment. The P will be oxidized to orthophosphate. The S will be oxidized to sulfate (if it isn't already sulfate) but not before it is oxidized to sulfite (which is volatile and will be lost). Carbon will be lost as CO2. Silica will remain in solid form. To analyze the non-metals (perhaps with the exception of P), you will need to withold some of the original sample and analyze it by different methods.

Exactly; the OP was talking also about Silicium and that's attacked too (and forms silica).

Related to Effect of aqua regia on P, S, C and Si?

1. What is aqua regia and how does it affect P, S, C, and Si?

Aqua regia is a highly corrosive mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid. It is commonly used in laboratory settings to dissolve noble metals such as gold and platinum. When in contact with P (phosphorus), S (sulfur), C (carbon), and Si (silicon), it can react and destroy these elements.

2. How does aqua regia affect P, S, C, and Si differently?

Aqua regia reacts with P and S to form phosphoric and sulfuric acids, respectively. These acids are highly corrosive and can cause damage to equipment and harm to individuals. When in contact with C, aqua regia can oxidize it and produce carbon dioxide gas. As for Si, it can lead to the formation of silicon dioxide, which is insoluble and can hinder further reactions.

3. Can aqua regia be used to identify P, S, C, and Si in a substance?

Yes, aqua regia can be used as a qualitative test for these elements. Its ability to dissolve P and S can be used to distinguish them from other elements, while its reaction with C can produce carbon dioxide gas, which can be detected. However, it is not a reliable method for identifying Si, as it may not completely dissolve in aqua regia.

4. What precautions should be taken when working with aqua regia and P, S, C, and Si?

Aqua regia should be handled with extreme caution, as it is highly corrosive and can cause severe burns if it comes in contact with skin. When working with P and S, proper ventilation should be ensured to prevent the buildup of toxic gases. It is also important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat, when handling these substances.

5. Are there any alternative methods for dealing with P, S, C, and Si that do not involve aqua regia?

Yes, there are alternative methods for working with these elements. For example, P and S can be dissolved in a mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid, known as a P-S solution. C and Si can be dissolved in a mixture of hydrofluoric acid and nitric acid, called a C-Si solution. These methods may be less corrosive and safer to use than aqua regia.