EE with physics or maths leads to what career?

In summary, the individual is considering a career in R&D, particularly in robotics, and is currently torn between pursuing a double major in mechatronics engineering and applied physics or EE and mathematics. Upon realizing their strength in mathematics and interest in electromagnetics, they are now considering pursuing a double major in EE and mathematics instead. They also express interest in combining AI with EM, and mention potential job opportunities in EM, specifically in antenna design and the field of cognitive radio. They are open to other suggestions and are considering pursuing a PhD after their undergraduate studies.
denks
Here is my dilemma:
Up until recently I was fairly set on doing mechatronics engineering and applied physics (I don't have to decide yet). My interest lay in R&D in robotics as I love physics and programming. However my results are showing me that although I am doing very well at physics I am finding mathematics to be my forte. I am also finding that my interest in physics lies in EM and quantum mechanics and I don't really like thermodynamics or fluid mechanics much at all. This is indicating to me that mechatronics (which has a very heavy mechanical eng component) may not be for me and I may be better off doing EE where my strength in programming and interest in EM will help me. I also may be better off doing mathematics rather than applied physics as my second major.
Which raises the question…
If I want to end up in R&D (I have made good money as a programmer however found that very unfulfilling, I want to do something where I can change the world if possible hence the interest in R&D) what career paths are available to someone who does a combined EE / mathematics degree? Would mathematics be a better double major or should I stick with EE / applied physics? Are there any areas of EE research where I can combine my interest in AI with my interest in EM? Areas that have captured my imagination for years are AI, EM propulsion and wireless electricity transmission.
Sorry for so many questions! I have worked very long hours before for work so I don't need any caution about the long hours of a double major, I'm quite confident workload won't be a problem. I'm looking at progressing straight into a PhD afterwards if possible.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
My undergrad was in engineering physics (basically applied physics, but done in the engineering department). For a master's I switched gears and did EE, focusing on robotics/image processing. I work in industry now developing chips to do image processing.

EM can be a niche field, but there are definitely jobs out there. Certainly antenna design is very important as wireless continues to grow.

AI + EM ... there is a field called cognitive radio.

HTH

Wow, thanks for the help! So glad I asked as I was sure someone would mention an area I had never even heard of and sure enough, here it is. Many thanks squall! I am guessing a mathematics major would be a good combination in a field like this due to the optimisation topics covered? It nicely avoids all the mechanical subjects while concentrating on maths, EM and AI - a beautiful combination in my biased eyes.

If anyone else has any other interesting areas I'm all ears - everyone I know in research is doing CFD or advanced materials so I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off in re EE related fields hence the questions.

Related to EE with physics or maths leads to what career?

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in EE with a focus on physics or maths?

There are a variety of career paths available for someone with a degree in EE with a focus on physics or maths. Some common options include working as an electrical engineer, a physicist, a mathematician, or a research scientist in fields such as telecommunications, renewable energy, or aerospace engineering.

2. How does having a background in both EE and physics/maths benefit someone in their career?

Holding a degree in EE with a focus on physics or maths can provide a unique skillset that allows individuals to approach problems from both a technical and analytical perspective. This can be especially useful in fields that require both theoretical knowledge and practical application, such as in research and development, or in industries where technology and science intersect.

3. Are there any specific industries or companies that seek candidates with a background in EE and physics/maths?

Many industries and companies value individuals with a combination of EE and physics/maths knowledge, particularly in fields such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and electronics. Some specific companies that may seek candidates with this background include Intel, GE, and Lockheed Martin.

4. Can someone with a degree in EE with a focus on physics/maths pursue a career outside of traditional engineering or science fields?

Yes, having a degree in EE with a focus on physics or maths can open up opportunities in various industries beyond traditional engineering or science fields. Some examples include working in finance, consulting, or even entrepreneurship, where the analytical and problem-solving skills gained from this degree can be highly valuable.

5. What skills should someone with a degree in EE with a focus on physics/maths highlight for potential employers?

Employers may look for a combination of technical skills, such as proficiency in programming and advanced mathematics, as well as soft skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. It is important to highlight both your technical expertise and your ability to apply that knowledge in practical ways to potential employers.