EE textbooks....to keep or not to keep?

In summary: I would sell it. In summary, the conversation discusses whether the person should keep their upper level courses' textbooks or not. They have already decided to keep their lower level courses' textbooks for their brother, but are unsure about what to do with the upper level books. Some suggest selling the books back, while others argue that it may be useful to keep them for future reference. It is ultimately up to the individual and their future plans. The books for courses such as Circuit Theory, Introduction to Digital Logic Design, Random Signals and Systems, Signals and Systems, Electric and Magnetic Field, Computer Architecture and Design, Electrical Properties of Materials, and Electronics may be worth selling, while the Engineering Economic Analysis book may not be as useful in the
AGGENGR
So I am junior EE student and was wondering whether i should keep my upper level courses' textbooks or not. I have my lower level courses' textbooks simply because my brother will be coming into TAMU in the future, but I'm confused as to what to do with my upper level books (rent or buy). Here are a list of my courses. I will obviously keep my elective courses' textbooks, just not sure about upper level.ECEN 214: Circuit Theory
ECEN 248: Introduction to Digital Logic Design
ECEN 303: Random Signals and Systems
ECEN 314: Signals and Systems
ECEN 322: Electric and Magnetic Field
ECEN 350: Computer Arch. and Design
ECEN 370: Electrical Properties of Materials
ECEN 325: Electronics
PHYS 222: Modern Physics
ISEN 302: Engineering Economic AnalysisThanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd sell them back. More and more PDFs are getting put on the web for public view and eventually all the material from textbooks for undergraduate level course will be available online (at least for math/physics/engineering). The value of the book will just continue to decrease the longer you hold onto it. I kept my Linear Algebra textbook to help me with my physics courses, but I never looked at it once. I could have sold it back to the school for 80 dollars, but they stopped using the texts and they now sell on amazon for a few bucks.

I was a poor college student and sold mine. I've always regretted it. (Well the being poor part anyway; I liked the food I bought with the money.:rolleyes:)

So I guess it depends on your life. I agree with JohnRior3 that you will almost never use them. But someday you will need some obscure information in one and know just where the information is -- if you have the book. Knowing where the tables are and how the information is arranged can save time sorting through the 10,000 adverts Google will spam you with. But is it worth lugging them around for 30 years? If you have a nice parents' attic, probably. If you commute all over the world, probably not.

EE214 and EE248 should probably go if you can get money for them. I doubt there's any obscure information in them.

Do you plan to be an engineer? If so, keep the books; if not, then sell them.

You most certainly did not learn everything in the books, and later, if needed to solve a problem, your own familiar texts are the easiest place to start to look for information (the place to start, not necessarily end up there!).

I still have and regularly us a number of texts from my own college education over 50 years ago.

Likes billy_joule
AGGENGR said:
So I am junior EE student and was wondering whether i should keep my upper level courses' textbooks or not. I have my lower level courses' textbooks simply because my brother will be coming into TAMU in the future, but I'm confused as to what to do with my upper level books (rent or buy). Here are a list of my courses. I will obviously keep my elective courses' textbooks, just not sure about upper level.ECEN 214: Circuit Theory
ECEN 248: Introduction to Digital Logic Design
ECEN 303: Random Signals and Systems
ECEN 314: Signals and Systems
ECEN 322: Electric and Magnetic Field
ECEN 350: Computer Arch. and Design
ECEN 370: Electrical Properties of Materials
ECEN 325: Electronics
PHYS 222: Modern Physics
ISEN 302: Engineering Economic AnalysisThanks!

You never know what books you will need to go back and use.
It depends on what field you go into.

That being said, your engineering economic analysis book is most likely useless now (IMO)

Related to EE textbooks....to keep or not to keep?

1. Should I keep old EE textbooks or get rid of them?

It depends on your personal preference and the specific textbook. Some older textbooks may still have valuable information and concepts that are relevant today, while others may be outdated and no longer useful. Consider the content and condition of the textbook before deciding whether to keep it or not.

2. Are newer editions of EE textbooks worth buying?

Again, it depends on the textbook. Newer editions may have updated information and concepts, but they may also be more expensive. Consider your budget and the updates made in the newer edition before making a decision.

3. Can I sell my old EE textbooks?

Yes, you can sell your old textbooks, but keep in mind that the resale value may not be very high. It's also important to check with your school or university to see if they have a buyback program or if there are any other students in need of the textbook before selling it.

4. Do I need to keep all of my EE textbooks for future reference?

It depends on your future career goals and the relevance of the textbooks to your field. If you plan on pursuing a career in EE, it may be beneficial to keep certain textbooks for reference. However, if you don't see yourself using them in the future, it may be better to let them go.

5. Should I donate my old EE textbooks?

Donating your old textbooks is a great way to give back to the community and help others who may not have access to the resources. However, make sure the textbooks are in good condition and still contain relevant information before donating them.