Educational games, but more advanced

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire for educational games that involve solving math or physics problems. The participants mention games from their childhood that had math-based challenges, and express interest in finding similar games for college-level material. They also mention the idea of an upgraded version of a submarine game that includes more complex questions and calculations. One participant suggests the idea of incorporating math problems into a drinking game. Another suggests a logic and strategy game that can be customized with user-made levels.
JoAuSc
I have fond memories of playing educational games back when I was young (~10 years ago), like Mutanoid Math Challenge, Operation Neptune, Gazillionaire, and so on. They had these wacky, colorful premises like facing off in a math contest against weird-looking aliens so that Earth wouldn't get drenched in slime. (In this game the math contest consisted of solving simple algebraic equations, arithmetic, that sort of thing; grade-school stuff.)

Are there any games for college-level math?

(I mean games that are inherently entertaining, but where solving math problems (or physics problems, or something like that) is crucial.)

I remember doing searches a few times for games like these, but couldn't find anything. I'm thinking about something like an upgraded version of Operation Neptune. The original game consisted of you moving about in a sub, collecting artifacts and having to solve math problems that pop up to either move to the next level or open up something, problems that had to do with submarine stuff like

"Your sub is leaking fuel at 2 liters/hour. If you currently have 40 liters of fuel, in how many hours will your sub be out of fuel?"

The upgraded version would have question like

"Let x(t) be the amount of fuel in liters in your sub. Your tank is leaking fuel at a rate of dx1/dt = k*x liters per hour, and your engine uses up fuel at a rate of dx2/dt = 5 liter/hour. You currently have 40 liters of fuel, and your engine will fail once x < 1 liter of fuel. Determine how long your sub can last with its engine on."

Obviously, you'd need a pencil, paper, and a calculator, but I think a lot of people would like a game like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
A game like that. I would preffer to just have questions in the textbooks like that. Unfortunatly I don't think there exists educational games for higher level. Zelda would be like

oh no monster apeared ... This monster may be approximated as a long W254x23x3. if the beam compresses in 1ms due to a hit of the sword, how hard should link hit the monster to have enough energy to give the princess a visit for a cup of coffee?

I would like some sort of educational game too.

I don't think a typical gamer would want to do relativistic calculations while playing rogue squadron

its not what you're looking for, but Orbiter is an insanely detailed and ultra realistic space flight simulation - I'm sure if you want you can work out your own problems involving orbital mechanics and then see if they work in "real life".

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

just a thought =)

a good drinking game at the bar with you and your friends is counting out loud from 1 on upwards and skipping all the prime numbers. whenever a number comes up with the same digit like 11 or 22 the you switch the direction in which you count. who ever messed up obviously has to drink. after a few rounds of beers we can never get past 22-23.

I have a game called "professor fizzwizzle"... it's not really math problems, it's more to do with logic and strategy, but some levels are pretty challenging to figure out. And you can always go online and download user-made levels, some of those can be very hard to figure out.

Related to Educational games, but more advanced

1. How do educational games benefit students?

Educational games have been shown to improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and increase motivation and engagement in students. They also promote collaboration and social skills development.

2. What makes an educational game more advanced?

An advanced educational game typically includes more complex challenges and tasks, utilizes advanced technology such as virtual reality or artificial intelligence, and incorporates multiple subject areas or skills.

3. Are there any specific age groups that benefit most from advanced educational games?

Advanced educational games can be beneficial for students of all ages, as they can be tailored to meet the specific needs and abilities of different age groups. However, they may be most effective for older children and teenagers who have developed more advanced cognitive abilities.

4. How can teachers incorporate advanced educational games into their curriculum?

Teachers can use advanced educational games as a supplement to traditional teaching methods, or integrate them into lesson plans as a fun and interactive way for students to practice and apply concepts they have learned in class.

5. Are there any concerns about the use of advanced educational games?

Some concerns about the use of advanced educational games include the potential for over-reliance on technology, the cost of implementing advanced games in the classroom, and the need for proper training and support for teachers to effectively use these games in their instruction.