Tangent lines on the Golden Spiral

In summary, Jason O is working on a diagramming program that uses the golden spiral. He is looking for help in finding the equation of the tangent line at a specific point on the spiral. He has provided the parametric equations for the spiral and has uploaded a sample picture for reference. It is suggested to use calculus to find the tangent, but a reasonable approximation can also be used. Jason O was able to use a TI-89 calculator to get the derivatives for the equations. He now has one more question about how to calculate the next point on the spiral at a certain distance from a given point. He considers using the parametric equations, but notices that the points increase in distance from each other. He is looking for a formula
Jdo300
Hello all, I'm working on a diagramming program that uses the golden spiral to make templates for something I'm working on. I'm wondering if someone can tell me how to get the equation of the tangent line at point (x,y) on the spiral. My program graphs the spiral parametrically and I use these equations:

X = Cos (T) * Phi ^ ((2 / π) * T)
Y = Sin (T) * Phi ^ ((2 / π) * T)

I've uploaded a sample picture to illustrate the spiral graph my program creates. I added a picture of a tangent and a point to show what I'm trying to find. So far, the graphing part of my program works just fine but I'm not quite sure how to do the tangents. I heard that you can use derivatives to do it but I haven't taken Calculus yet so I have no clue how to do them yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Thanks,
Jason O

Attachments

• Spiral.GIF
    Spiral.GIF
    2.2 KB · Views: 710
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This will be more meaningful if you had 1/2Pi instead of 2/Pi. Then, 'T' would represent the angle in the x-y plane.

Anyways, you'll need to use calculus (or have someone do it for you) to find the tangent at any point. This is what you get :

The slope of the tangent at some point, P(T) is = {cos(T) + (2/Pi)sin(T)}/{(2/Pi)cos(T) - sin(T)}
You can use this slope and the co-ordinates of the point (x,y) given by your parametric equations to get the equation of the tangent line at that point.

If you are not allowed to use a calculus result, there is a reasonable approximation that may be used. Pick 2 nearby points on the curve, on either side of the given point, and find the slope of the line joining these points. That will be pretty close to the slope of the tangent.

NOTE : (1) Pick points that are equidistant to the required point,
(2) The distance between them should be small compared to the value of a^(2T/Pi)
(3) The distance between them should be sufficiently large compared to the resolution of the display or the underlying XY coordinate frame.
(4) Obeying (2) and (3) simultaneously requires that you avoid points with very small values of T

Thank you very much for your help! As it turns out, I was able to get the derivatives for the X and Y equations using a TI-89 calculator that my Calculus teacher had. I have one more question that I'm not sure about. If I have a point (point X) and it is on the Golden spiral, how would I calculate the next point on the spiral that is a certain distance away from the first point? Since I am using parametric equations, I thought about just incrementing T but I see that when I plot the points, they increase in distance from each other. Is there a formula I could use to do this if I know the X, Y coordinates of the first point on the spiral and the distance I know I want the second point to be from the first?

1. What is the Golden Spiral?

The Golden Spiral is a special type of logarithmic spiral that appears in nature and has been studied by mathematicians for centuries. It is constructed using the Fibonacci sequence, where each number is the sum of the two previous numbers (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, etc.). The ratio of each consecutive pair of numbers in the sequence approximates the golden ratio, which is approximately 1.618.

2. How are tangent lines related to the Golden Spiral?

Tangent lines are lines that touch a curve at a single point and are perpendicular to the curve at that point. In the case of the Golden Spiral, tangent lines can be drawn at any point along the curve, and they will always intersect the curve at a 90 degree angle. This is because the Golden Spiral is a logarithmic spiral, meaning that its curvature remains constant at every point along the curve.

3. What is the equation for a tangent line on the Golden Spiral?

The equation for a tangent line on the Golden Spiral can be derived using calculus. If the Golden Spiral is defined by the equation r = a*e^(b*theta), where r is the distance from the origin, theta is the angle, and a and b are constants, then the equation for the tangent line at a point (r, theta) is y = (b*r + a)*cot(theta). This means that the slope of the tangent line is determined by the ratio of the two constants, b/a, and the angle of the tangent point, theta.

4. How can tangent lines on the Golden Spiral be used in real-world applications?

Tangent lines on the Golden Spiral can be used in various fields such as architecture, art, and design. They can be used to create aesthetically pleasing curves and proportions, as the Golden Spiral is often considered to be visually appealing. In architecture, the Golden Spiral can be used to determine the proportions of a building, while in art and design, it can be used to create visually harmonious compositions.

5. Are there any other interesting properties of tangent lines on the Golden Spiral?

Yes, there are many interesting properties of tangent lines on the Golden Spiral. For example, if you draw a line from the center of the spiral to the point of tangency on the tangent line, it will always be perpendicular to the tangent line. Additionally, the distance between the center of the spiral and the point of tangency on the tangent line will always be equal to the radius of the spiral at that point. These and other properties make the Golden Spiral a fascinating topic of study for mathematicians and scientists.