Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Edited posts

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
How would a person know that an edit has been made to a post ?

Would it be possible to update the Latest threads ?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Most edits that people make are errors or typos so it isn't a good idea to update these things on the Activity Stream, especially since users won't be able to tell what was changed. Are you thinking of a particular thread or situation?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
How would a person know that an edit has been made to a post ?

Would it be possible to update the Latest threads ?
Spending a lot of time on stackexchange sites I see. I think we need the @ notifier. That works wonders.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Most edits that people make are errors or typos so it isn't a good idea to update these things on the Activity Stream, especially since users won't be able to tell what was changed. Are you thinking of a particular thread or situation?

From his previous post about math.SE, I think the idea came form there. However, they have a link to edits that all members can see. This lets you view the marks up:

Here is the mark up

But edits are a double edge sword. You only get 10. Once you go over 10, any reputation doesn't count. Your post becomes a community wiki.

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
While the SE model is really cool and is yet another of the great features they have to offer, I don't think this is easily doable on a logistical level or on a conceptual level. Edits to posts are usually fixing mistakes or adding a short afterthought right after the post was made. In most other cases a new post is just fine and will show up on our activity stream. The only situations where edits are often used are in our tutorial threads and math notes. It's fine though to post "Updated on xx/xx/xxxx" in these threads to bring the update to everyone's attention.

If there is something I've overlooked please let me know, but for now this kind of change won't be happening unless a modification becomes available for download.