Edit: sorry about the title, it was warped when I pressed Control + z

WNhdGU6IHNvcnJ5IGFib3V0IHRoZSBwb3J0IG9mIGNvbnRlbnQuIEhlbGxvIHByb2JsZW0gb24gY29udGFpbnMgdGhpcyBpcyB3aGF0IG5vIGlkZWEgd2FzIHdpdGggY29udmVudGxpbmcgbWVhbmlhbHMuICBUaGUgcHJvYmxlbSBpJ20gaGF2ZSBubyBpZGVhIHdoYXQgdGhpcyBzaW1wbGVzIF
AVReidy
Edit: sorry about the title, it was warped when I pressed Control + z a few times. This is a question about monomials.

Homework Statement

How do I simplify (2n)4 + 2n4?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is with the parenthesis. So really I just want to simplify (2n)4.

Would it be 2n4 or 16n4? The first one seems more intuitive, but I have no idea what it should be.

I'd really appreciate some help. This is the only part of math that I find unattractive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

AVReidy said:
Edit: sorry about the title, it was warped when I pressed Control + z a few times. This is a question about monomials.

Homework Statement

How do I simplify (2n)4 + 2n4?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is with the parenthesis. So really I just want to simplify (2n)4.

Would it be 2n4 or 16n4? The first one seems more intuitive, but I have no idea what it should be.

I'd really appreciate some help. This is the only part of math that I find unattractive.

For any a, a^4 means a*a*a*a, so (2n)^4 means 2n * 2n * 2n * 2n = 16n^4. Never mind your "intuition" about what you think symbols _should_ mean. They have conventional meanings that are hundreds of years old.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Edit: sorry about the title, it was warped when I pressed Control + z

1. What does "Edit: sorry about the title, it was warped when I pressed Control + z" mean?

This statement is often seen on online forums or message boards when a user has made a mistake while typing their post and is apologizing for it. In this case, the user likely made a typo in their post title and attempted to use the keyboard shortcut "Control + z" to undo it, but it did not work as intended.

2. Why does the title become warped when pressing Control + z?

The keyboard shortcut "Control + z" is commonly used as an "undo" function in many programs, including text editors. However, it may not always work as intended, especially in online forms or message boards where the formatting may be different. In this case, when the user pressed "Control + z" to undo their typo, it may have caused the title to become distorted or "warped".

3. Can this issue be fixed?

In most cases, yes, this issue can be fixed. If the forum or message board allows editing of posts, the user can simply go back and manually fix the title. Alternatively, they can try using a different keyboard shortcut or method to undo their mistake. If the issue persists, they may need to reach out to the website's technical support for assistance.

4. Is this a common problem?

While it may not be a common problem for all users, it is not uncommon for individuals to make mistakes while typing and then attempt to use the "Control + z" shortcut to undo them, only to have unexpected results. This is especially true for those who are not familiar with keyboard shortcuts or those who are using a different device or platform than they are used to.

5. How can I avoid this issue in the future?

To avoid this issue in the future, it is important to use caution when using keyboard shortcuts, especially in online forms or message boards where the formatting may be different. It may also be helpful to proofread your posts before submitting them to catch any mistakes that may need to be corrected manually.