Edit Button Gone After Posting? 24 Hour Post Edit Period

• Thread starter wingingit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    edit
In summary, The user put up a long post late last night but wanted to make some edits in the light of the day. However, the "Edit" button was no longer available. They searched for information on how long the edit period is and found multiple threads stating it is 24 hours, but upon further investigation, they realized it is only 4 hours. The user was planning on making some minor edits to the post and is willing to make any necessary clarifications through a reply if needed. The mentor can help make edits after the edit period has expired, but it may be better to post an update reply instead if there have been replies to the original post. There were also some discussions about the edit period being longer in the past,
wingingit
I put up a long post late last night. In the light of the day, there are some edits I'd like to make, but the "Edit" button is gone from the bottom.

Everywhere I've looked said we have 24 hours to edit, and it's only been 6. I'm definitely logged in as me, because I used my own Content page to link to it. Can someone tell me what happened to the Edit button?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't see anything directly in the Help section, so I did a search on "edit posts". Here are some links that turned up:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/edit-posts.398659/#post-2690340
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/post-edits.277686/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/editing-old-posts-after-server-move.265884/

These are all old, I realize, but after I saw the same time given in multiple threads, I stopped looking. I never found anywhere that said 4 hours.

24 hours would be nice (especially when reviewing my 3 AM ramblings) but it's not a big deal for this post. I was just going to clean up some grammar and/or clarify some statements. If necessary, I'll address any serious issues in a Reply.

Huh. And I was going to blame @phinds ...

AAAARRRR WOOF !

Likes Drakkith
It was longer a few years ago, but then too many users deleted their homework problems after they got solved, which ruined the thread (the replies don't make sense any more) and it could also indicate cheating if the users were not allowed to ask for help online and tried to hide that.

wingingit said:
In the light of the day, there are some edits I'd like to make,

After the Edit Period has expired, you can just click on the "Report" link on your post, and ask the Mentors to make the edits for you.

Note that if there have been replies to your post, it may make more sense for you to post an update Reply instead with the corrections. Otherwise it may confuse folks who have replied.

What is the "Edit Button Gone After Posting" feature?

The "Edit Button Gone After Posting" feature is a setting on certain websites or platforms that allows users to make changes to their posts or comments within a specific time period after posting. Once this time period has passed, the edit button disappears and the post becomes permanent.

Why is there a 24 hour post edit period?

The 24 hour post edit period is typically implemented to prevent users from constantly changing their posts or comments, which can disrupt the flow of conversation and make it difficult for others to follow. It also helps to maintain the integrity of the original post and any discussions that may have taken place.

Can I still edit my post after the 24 hour period?

In most cases, no. Once the 24 hour period has passed and the edit button disappears, the post becomes permanent and cannot be edited. However, some websites may have exceptions to this rule or allow for edits under special circumstances.

What happens if I notice a mistake in my post after the 24 hour period?

If you notice a mistake in your post after the 24 hour period has passed, you may have to leave a follow-up comment explaining the mistake or contact the website or platform's support team for assistance. Some platforms may have a feature that allows users to flag their own posts for review in case of errors.

Can the 24 hour post edit period be changed or removed?

It depends on the platform or website's settings. Some may allow users to adjust the length of the edit period or remove it entirely, while others may have it set as a permanent feature. It is best to check the platform's policies or contact their support team for more information.