In summary, the conversation is about difficulties in writing a damped oscillations lab report that includes a short essay on eddy currents and their relationship with torsion pendulums. The question also asks if the copper wheel in the torsion pendulum can be made of plastic. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding Lenz's law and energy in relation to eddy currents. Various sources of information on eddy currents are also mentioned.
Mia_S
I am having difficulties writing my damped oscillations lab report. We were asked to write a short essay on eddy currents (creation,direction advantage and disadvantage) and their relationship with torsion pendulums. Also,we have to explain if the copper wheel in the torsion pendulum could be made of plastic?

Could somebody please explain the relation between Eddy currents and the torsion pendulum?

I would really appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a link to a lab exercise that seems to me to explain the role of the eddy current damping in a torsion pendulum quite well.
There are lots of sources of info on eddy currents.
Eddy currents have consequences: for this lab, think about Lenz's law, also, think about energy, think about many situations where eddy currents occur.

Merlin3189 said:
Here is a link to a lab exercise that seems to me to explain the role of the eddy current damping in a torsion pendulum quite well.
There are lots of sources of info on eddy currents.
Eddy currents have consequences: for this lab, think about Lenz's law, also, think about energy, think about many situations where eddy currents occur.
Thank you !

Related to Eddy currents and Torsion Pedulum

1. What are eddy currents and how do they affect the torsion pendulum?

Eddy currents are electrical currents that are induced in a conductor when it is placed in a changing magnetic field. These currents create their own magnetic fields, which interact with the original magnetic field and cause resistance. In a torsion pendulum, this resistance can cause the pendulum to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

2. How are eddy currents and torsion pendulums used in scientific research?

Eddy currents and torsion pendulums are commonly used in experiments to study the properties of materials and their response to magnetic fields. They are also used to measure the magnetic properties of materials and to detect flaws or defects in materials.

3. What factors affect the strength of eddy currents in a torsion pendulum?

The strength of eddy currents in a torsion pendulum is affected by the strength and frequency of the magnetic field, the properties of the conductor (such as its composition and thickness), and the shape and size of the conductor.

4. Can eddy currents be controlled or minimized in a torsion pendulum?

Yes, eddy currents can be controlled or minimized by using materials with low electrical conductivity, such as non-magnetic metals or insulators, and by reducing the strength and frequency of the magnetic field.

5. How are eddy currents and torsion pendulums used in everyday applications?

Eddy currents and torsion pendulums are commonly used in everyday applications such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in metal detectors, speedometers, and electromagnetic brakes.