Eddy current losses in microelectric generators?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of eddy current losses on the rotational velocity of a microscale electric generator. It is noted that these losses do not change with the magnitude of the currents, while hysteresis losses do. The speaker also mentions the potential issue of losses in rectifying the output current and suggests exploring alternative methods for converting mechanical power to electrical energy. The focus is on minimizing losses, with the speaker considering a brushless arrangement to reduce friction. More details are needed on the specific design and parameters of the microgenerator.
gildomar
For a microscale electric generator (where the driving force is a fraction of a Newton), can losses from eddy currents be significant enough to noticeably alter the rotational velocity of the rotor? Because my understanding is that the rotation is basically taken as a constant when examining the behavior of electric generators.

Physics news on Phys.org
More details would be helpful. But an initial answer would be that eddy current losses (as a percentage) do not change with the magnitude of the currents, while hysteresis losses do.

berkeman said:
More details would be helpful. But an initial answer would be that eddy current losses (as a percentage) do not change with the magnitude of the currents, while hysteresis losses do.

For more details, I was considering a very small electric generator with also a very small driving force. I know that obviously an electric current would be induced from the rotation, which in turn would generate a magnetic field that would oppose the motion. When doing calculations involving generators, I've always taken the rotational velocity as a constant (which keeps calculations simple). But I was wondering if the magnetic "friction" from the opposing field would be strong enough to significantly slow down the generator, thus making calculations trickier.

I think a bigger issue for you would be the losses in the rectification of the output current from your microgenerator. What voltages and currents are you looking at? Can you say more about what the microgenerator looks like? Maybe there is a better way to convert the small input mechanical power to stored electrical energy...

berkeman said:
I think a bigger issue for you would be the losses in the rectification of the output current from your microgenerator. What voltages and currents are you looking at? Can you say more about what the microgenerator looks like? Maybe there is a better way to convert the small input mechanical power to stored electrical energy...

I don't have any info for voltages or currents yet, since it's still a theoretical exercise (but I'm trying to get to the point where I can determine voltages and currents). As such, I'm determining what the generator would look like, particularly since I'm also trying to determine the exact size of the driving force (but that's a separate topic). I can say that I was looking at trying to utilize a brushless arrangement, so as to minimize friction, and thus get every erg that I can from it. Hence why I was wondering about eddy current losses.

Related to Eddy current losses in microelectric generators?

1. What are eddy current losses in microelectric generators?

Eddy current losses, also known as Foucault losses, are induced currents that flow in a conductor due to changes in magnetic fields. In microelectric generators, these losses occur when the magnetic field of the generator interacts with the conductive materials used in its construction, causing energy to be dissipated as heat.

2. How do eddy current losses affect the performance of microelectric generators?

Eddy current losses can significantly impact the efficiency and output of microelectric generators. The energy dissipated as heat reduces the overall energy conversion efficiency of the generator and can lead to overheating and potential damage to the device.

3. What factors contribute to eddy current losses in microelectric generators?

The magnitude of eddy current losses depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the frequency of the alternating current, and the resistivity and thickness of the conducting material. Higher magnetic fields, frequencies, and resistivity result in greater eddy current losses, while thicker conductors can help reduce these losses.

4. How can eddy current losses be minimized in microelectric generators?

To minimize eddy current losses, designers can use materials with lower resistivity, such as copper or aluminum, which are commonly used in microelectric generators. Additionally, the geometry and arrangement of the conductive elements can be optimized to reduce the impact of eddy currents on the overall performance of the generator.

5. Can eddy current losses be completely eliminated in microelectric generators?

It is not possible to completely eliminate eddy current losses in microelectric generators, as they are a natural consequence of the interaction between magnetic fields and conductive materials. However, through careful design and material selection, these losses can be minimized to improve the efficiency and performance of the generator.