Eddy current damping - Analysis?

In summary, to dampen an oscillating metal plate with a neodymium magnet, you will need to find the damping coefficient in the form of the Lorentz force F = -kv. This can be done using papers and experimental data, but you will also need to find the effective resistance of the plate. The bulk resistance of the material is the key number to look for, but the effective volume of the plate will only include the portion where eddy currents flow. The analysis in the provided paper can help guide you in using the data to find the effective resistance.
CharleyK
I'm trying to damp an oscillating metal plate with a neodymium magnet.

Things I know
- Remanence of the magnet
- The magnetic flux density at distance z (from the distributors site)
- Dimensions of the magnet
- Plate material (Aluminium)
- Distance to the plate.

What I'm trying to find out is the damping coefficient in the form of the Lorentz force F = -kv. I can do this with some papers I found, but I need to find the effective resistance of the plate. Now, the area below the magnet is pretty easy, but the magnetic field also passes outside of that area and I can't determine the resistance of that area (or the overall resistance on average). The two papers I found approach this with some experimental data, but it's still hazy.

Are there maybe thumb rules for this, or any got an idea how to go about this?

P.S. Here's an image to get an idea, the problem is resistance R.
VDGzmxm.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Eddy current damping - Analysis?

1. What is eddy current damping and how does it work?

Eddy current damping is a type of damping mechanism used to reduce vibrations in a system. It works by inducing a magnetic field in a conductive material, which then creates eddy currents that oppose the motion of the vibrating object, thus reducing its amplitude.

2. What are the applications of eddy current damping?

Eddy current damping is commonly used in precision instruments, such as seismometers and accelerometers, to reduce the effects of external vibrations and improve accuracy. It is also used in various engineering systems, such as motors, generators, and brakes, to reduce unwanted vibrations and noise.

3. How is eddy current damping analyzed?

Eddy current damping can be analyzed through the use of mathematical models and simulations. These models take into account factors such as the material properties, geometry, and frequency of the vibrating object to predict the amount of damping that will be produced.

4. What are the advantages of using eddy current damping?

Eddy current damping has several advantages over other damping mechanisms, such as friction damping. It does not require physical contact, which eliminates wear and tear, and it can be easily adjusted or controlled by varying the strength of the magnetic field.

5. What are the limitations of eddy current damping?

One limitation of eddy current damping is that it is only effective for reducing vibrations at high frequencies. At low frequencies, the eddy currents are not strong enough to provide significant damping. Additionally, eddy current damping is not suitable for use in high-temperature environments as it can cause overheating of the conductive material.