Economics and uniform series formula problems

In summary, the uniform series formula, also known as the annuity formula, is a mathematical formula used in economics to calculate the present or future value of a series of equal payments made at regular intervals. It is used to analyze the cash flow of investments or projects and takes into account the interest rate, number of periods, and payment amount. There is a difference between an ordinary annuity and an annuity due in the uniform series formula, as the timing and amount of payments are affected. The formula cannot be used for uneven or irregular payments and may not always be 100% accurate in predicting future values due to assumptions of constant interest rate and regular payments. Other factors, such as inflation, can also affect its accuracy.
MHrtz

Homework Statement

A Machine at a cost of $5,000 was purchased 3 years ago. It can be sold now for $3,000. If the machine is kept, the annual operating and maintenance costs will be $1,500. If it is kept and operated for next five years, determine the amount at time 0 (now) equivalent to the cost of owning and operating the machine can be sold for $1,000 at the end of the five year period. Use an interest rate of 10%.

A. 8065
B. 6550
C. 9522
D. 5002

Homework Equations

Not exactly sure which to use but here are the ones from the chapter we are studying:

F = P(1 + i)^n

F = A [((1 + i)^n - 1))/i]

P = A [((1 + i)^n - 1))/((i(1 + i)^n))]

The Attempt at a Solution

1500 * 5 = 7500
7500 - 1000 = 6500
6500 is not one of the choices

What now?

Physics news on Phys.org
As nobody else has replied, I'll try to offer a hint or two ...

It looks like you have to consider two situations...

(A) The machine is sold today for $3000
(B) The machine is kept, operated for 5 years, and then sold for $1000.

... and then take the difference between the $3000 you could make, versus the money (a negative number) which must be set aside today to cover 5 years of operating costs.

So, how much money must be set aside to cover operating costs over the next 5 years? Hint, it is not simply $1500*5, you must take into account the 10% interest.

As a final twist, the $1000 earned in the future must be taken into account as well.

That's what i thought also so I used the 3rd equation.

A = 1500
n = 5
i = .1

but I get 5686.18 as an answer for P. Then I realized that didn't make any sense because 1500 dollars is not an annuity. In other words, the 1500 dollars doesn't collect interest because it's merely a recurring cost.

You should have to set aside less than $1500 for each year of operating cost in the future. That money then accrues interest at 10%, until it is worth the necessary $1500 to cover operating costs at the appropriate time.

It's not clear to me if operating costs are paid annually, monthly, continuously, or what -- hopefully that has been explained to you in the textbook or your course lectures.

The solutions were finally posted. Here is what you were supposed to do:

P = $3,000
Operating and maintenance costs / year = $1,500
n = 5 years
Salvage value = $1,000
Interest rate = 10%
PW of costs = 3,000 + 1,500 (P/A, 10%, 5) - 1,000(P/F, 10%, 5)
= 3,000 + 1,500 (3.791) -1,000(0.6209)
= $8,065.60
The answer is, “A”.

What I didn't understand was that everything must be taken to the present including the salvage value which is also affected by the interest rate. Money is not worth the same in the future as it is in the present.

Related to Economics and uniform series formula problems

1. What is the uniform series formula?

The uniform series formula, also known as the annuity formula, is a mathematical formula used to calculate the present value or future value of a series of equal payments made at regular intervals. It takes into account the interest rate, number of periods, and payment amount to determine the total value of the series.

2. How is the uniform series formula used in economics?

In economics, the uniform series formula is used to analyze the cash flow of an investment or project over time. It helps economists and investors make decisions by determining the present or future value of a series of payments, such as loan repayments or investment returns.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary annuity and an annuity due in the uniform series formula?

In an ordinary annuity, payments are made at the end of each period, whereas in an annuity due, payments are made at the beginning of each period. This affects the timing and amount of the payments and, therefore, the calculation of the present or future value using the uniform series formula.

4. Can the uniform series formula be used for uneven or irregular payments?

No, the uniform series formula is specifically designed for a series of equal payments made at regular intervals. If the payments are uneven or irregular, a different formula, such as the NPV or IRR formula, should be used to calculate the present or future value.

5. How accurate is the uniform series formula in predicting future values?

The uniform series formula is a useful tool for estimating the future value of a series of payments, but it is not always 100% accurate. It assumes a constant interest rate and regular payments, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. Other factors, such as inflation, can also affect the accuracy of the formula in predicting future values.