Economic difficulties force me to restart college

In summary, an economic disaster has forced him to abandon his studies and he's determined to take his chance with a new university. He's hoping the physics courses he took in his first university will be taken into consideration.
kostas230
I'm a 3rd year major in physics. Unfortunately, I come from a pretty poor family and I study away from home, and we've been hit by an economic disaster that forces me to abandon college. I'm pretty good in my studies, I got a scholarship and I was at the top 10 of the best students of my university. There are no jobs available to make me independant, and as a result I have to return to my home.

I don't want to abandon my studies. Transfers are not allowed in my country so, I have to take the panhellenic examinations again (something like the SAT). I'm pretty confident that I will score high enough to get accepted in the university of Athens (I live in Athens btw). Problem is, the educational system is pretty messed up: I have to start all over again; there is no such thing as transfer credit. I am determined enough to ignore that and start all over again. Because I have enough knowledge of physics (I know pretty well classical and quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics and general relativity) I will try and take my chances with the math department. I ask you this: will the college I go for graduate studies take into consideration the physics courses I took in my first university? Because if not, I will have to go to the physics department.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
kostas230 said:
I ask you this: will the college I go for graduate studies take into consideration the physics courses I took in my first university? Because if not, I will have to go to the physics department.
For grad school applications, you will submit transcripts from every university you attended, so they should certainly take your physics courses into consideration. You can draw attention to them, and mention the hardship that led to the university change, in your essay if necessary.

That's good. Another problem is that my grades were starting to fall down after the 2nd semester because I worked 2 jobs to earn my living, neglecting college in the process. I'm afraid that they might reject me at the screening test.

Please, forgive my over-anxiousness (and my bad english :P) but I'm in a real nerve-wracking situation at the moment...

Related to Economic difficulties force me to restart college

1. What are the common economic difficulties that can force someone to restart college?

There are several common economic difficulties that can lead someone to restart college. These include loss of a job, inability to find a job after graduation, unexpected medical expenses, and high student loan debt.

2. How can restarting college help with economic difficulties?

Restarting college can help with economic difficulties by providing new skills and qualifications that can lead to better job opportunities and higher earning potential. It can also help to reduce student loan debt by completing a degree more efficiently.

3. Is it worth it to restart college for economic reasons?

Restarting college for economic reasons can be a worthwhile investment, but it ultimately depends on individual circumstances. It is important to carefully consider the costs and potential benefits, such as career advancement and increased earning potential, before making a decision.

4. Are there any resources or assistance available for those facing economic difficulties while restarting college?

Yes, there are resources and assistance available for individuals facing economic difficulties while restarting college. These may include scholarships, grants, financial aid, and support services provided by the college or external organizations.

5. What steps can I take to minimize the economic impact of restarting college?

To minimize the economic impact of restarting college, you can explore options for financial aid, such as scholarships and grants. You can also consider attending a lower-cost community college or taking online courses to save on tuition. Additionally, creating a budget and finding part-time work can help to manage expenses while in school.