Eclipse Path Explained: Earth's Axis & Moon's Incline

In summary, the video explains why the eclipse path is curved and how it is related to both the tilt of the Earth's axis and the orbital plane of the moon. The video also goes into detail about great circles and how they play a role in the location of the eclipse.
TheWonderer1
Hi there,

I've watched this video: . I have been curious the whole day why the eclipse path seems to be curved and obviously in our latitude. Is it because of both the moon's orbital plane and the tilt of the Earth's axis? If it went across the US, that is a lot more than 5 degrees (moon incline) so I was just wondering about the geometry. I've done some research and that video was the best I found.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
TheWonderer1 said:
I have been curious the whole day why the eclipse path seems to be curved and obviously in our latitude. Is it because of both the moon's orbital plane and the tilt of the Earth's axis?

because the Earth's surface is curved ! :smile:

you are not a flat earther are you ? :wink:

Absolutely not. I'm more asking about the north to south direction. I'm also asking about latitude. The video itself goes into what I'm asking but I want to know why the location changes. I understand that the moon has its own orbit causing the zigzag shape. How NASA calculate the exact route? I understand what a geodesic is and I'm pretty sure that this is more complex. I'm not asking why it goes west to east either. That's based on the speed on the moon relative to earth. I'm asking why the latitude changes.

Last edited:
@davenn humor is oblique sometimes, but we get posters on PF that have agendas that have little to do with Science. So I understand why he asked the question. No harm no foul.

Likes davenn
jim mcnamara said:
@davenn humor is oblique sometimes, but we get posters on PF that have agendas that have little to do with Science. So I understand why he asked the question. No harm no foul.

I still stand by my first part

davenn said:
because the Earth's surface is curved ! :smile:
Dave

I mean it's all making spherical representations on a piece of flat paper but I'd like to know the calculations. I'm maybe not 100% on geodesics but a helpful discussion would be welcomed! I guess I'm confused on why Oregon to Charleston. Is it because of great circles? It's the shortest distance between two points. If it followed the same latitude, it wouldn't make any sense?

Last edited:
If you neglect the rotation of Earth, the eclipse center follows a circle on a sphere. A great circle is only a special case of this. As seen from the Sun, the Moon crosses the Earth, where the circle has an angle somewhere between 18° and 28° relative to the equator as both the Earth's equator and the orbital plane of the Moon are not aligned with the orbital plane of Earth.
The rotation of Earth makes things more complicated and leads to deviations from the simple circle. Its effect is larger when the shadow of the Moon is closer to the subsolar point, especially if it is at the equator, as the direction of the rotation is orthogonal to the Earth/Moon/Sun axis in this case.

Likes TheWonderer1 and UsableThought
mfb said:
If you neglect the rotation of Earth, the eclipse center follows a circle on a sphere. A great circle is only a special case of this. As seen from the Sun, the Moon crosses the Earth, where the circle has an angle somewhere between 18° and 28° relative to the equator as both the Earth's equator and the orbital plane of the Moon are not aligned with the orbital plane of Earth..

Ok this is what I thought. Thank you very much!

1. What is an eclipse?

An eclipse occurs when one celestial body passes in front of another, blocking its light and casting a shadow on the other body. On Earth, this most commonly refers to a solar or lunar eclipse, where the Moon passes between the Sun and Earth, or Earth passes between the Sun and Moon respectively.

2. How does the Earth's axis affect eclipses?

The Earth's axis is tilted at an angle of 23.5 degrees relative to its orbit around the Sun. This tilt causes the Sun's light to hit the Earth's surface at different angles throughout the year, resulting in the changing of seasons. It also affects the path of the Moon's shadow during an eclipse, as the angle of the Earth's axis determines the angle at which the Moon's shadow falls on Earth.

3. What is the Moon's inclination?

The Moon's inclination, also known as its orbital inclination, is the angle at which the Moon's orbit around the Earth is tilted. It is about 5 degrees relative to the Earth's orbit around the Sun. This angle affects the path of the Moon's shadow during an eclipse, as it determines how far north or south the shadow will fall on Earth.

4. Why are eclipses not visible from all parts of the world?

Eclipses are only visible from certain parts of the world because the Earth's surface is curved. This means that the Moon's shadow falls on different parts of the Earth's surface during an eclipse, and only those within the path of the shadow can see the eclipse. Additionally, the Earth's rotation also affects the visibility of an eclipse, as it may be occurring during the day or night in different parts of the world.

5. How often do eclipses occur?

Solar eclipses occur on average 2-5 times per year, while lunar eclipses occur slightly less frequently. However, not all eclipses are visible from all parts of the world. The frequency and visibility of eclipses depend on various factors, including the positions of the Earth, Moon, and Sun in their orbits and the Earth's rotation.