How to Correctly Solve L = 1800cc - 72cm?

• Thread starter Superman89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, Warren helps Superman89 with a math problem involving finding the length of a rectangular box that can hold 1,800 cubic centimeters, given its width and height. Warren explains the equation for finding the length and suggests dividing both sides of the equation by the width and height to simplify it. Superman89 thanks Warren for his help.
Superman89
I'm stuck can anybody help me? (Note: I'm looking for the length.)

1,800cc-72cm=L

What do I do next?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, what you've posted does not make sense. You cannot subtract a length (cm) from a volume (cc). Perhaps you can show us the WHOLE problem?

- Warren

Well maybe I haven't got it written out right. Can I give you the problem and you work it out and show me how to do it?

Like I just said, yes, please post the entire problem.

- Warren

Here it is.

How long must a rectangular box be in oder to hold 1,800 cubic centimeters if its width is 12 centimeters and its height is 6 centimeters?

Originally posted by Superman89
Here it is.

How long must a rectangular box be in oder to hold 1,800 cubic centimeters if its width is 12 centimeters and its height is 6 centimeters?
Okay, you've already posted this once. Why did you start a new thread on it?

Here's how to solve it:

[tex]\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
V &= w \cdot l \cdot h\\\\
l &= \frac{V}{w \cdot h}\\\\
l &= \frac{1,800}{12 \cdot 6}
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Does this make sense?

- Warren

Let me see if I've got this straight.

When "w" and "h" are brought arcross the "=" sign, the oppisite must be done.

[itex] V=l*w*h [/itex]

[itex] \frac {V}{w*h}=l [/itex]

Right?

It's easier to think about it this way: performing the same operation to both sides of an equation does not change the equation's validity.

In other words, if you have an equation like [itex]a=b[/itex], adding one to both sides of it does not change its truth: [itex]a+1=b+1[/itex] is also true.

In the case of the equation [itex]V = l \cdot w \cdot h[/itex], you can divide both sides by [itex]w \cdot h[/itex] and not change the equation's valitiy.

[tex]\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\frac{V}{w \cdot h} &= \frac{l \cdot w \cdot h}{w \cdot h}\\\\
\frac{V}{w \cdot h} &= l
\end{split}
\end{equation*}[/tex]

- Warren

I see what you mean. So my answer is going to be [tex]l &= \frac{1,800}{12 \cdot 6}\end{split}\end{equation*}[/tex]?

Didn't I already say that?

- Warren

Thanks! You've been a real good help Dude!

Thanks! You've been a real good help Dude!
Anytime. :smile:

- Warren

I'm stuck can anybody help me? (Note: I'm looking for the length.)

1,800cc-72cm=L

What do I do next?

Well fisrt thing I'd do is to get that X-Ray vision tested there Superman. ;)

Looks to me like when you copied the "answer" of L = 1800cc - 72 cm from whoever that you misread a divide symbol for a minus symbol.

1. What does it mean to be "stuck"?

Being "stuck" typically refers to feeling trapped or unable to move forward in a particular situation or problem.

2. What are some common reasons for feeling stuck?

Some common reasons for feeling stuck include lack of motivation, fear of failure, lack of resources or support, and feeling overwhelmed or unsure about how to proceed.

3. How can I get "unstuck"?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for getting unstuck, but some strategies that may be helpful include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable tasks, seeking advice from others, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective, and practicing self-care to reduce stress and increase motivation.

4. What are some potential consequences of staying "stuck"?

Staying stuck for too long can lead to feelings of frustration, hopelessness, and self-doubt. It can also prevent personal growth and development, as well as hinder progress towards achieving goals.

5. When should I seek help for feeling "stuck"?

If you have been feeling stuck for an extended period of time and have tried various strategies without success, it may be beneficial to seek help from a therapist, coach, or trusted mentor. They can provide support, guidance, and new perspectives to help you overcome your obstacles.