Easy way to figure out what material to use in a project?

In summary, the individual is a university student who is struggling to find an easy way to select materials for engineering projects, as it is not something that is typically taught in lectures. They have been manually searching for materials through PDFs and have been looking for a dictionary-sized compilation of both standard and patented materials with engineering and physical properties and a user-friendly contents page. They are open to purchasing a hardcopy reference manual or using a computer program to search a database for materials based on properties. Some potential resources suggested for materials selection include the Ashby Chart, Engineers Handbook, MatWeb, and Granta.
Download
I'm only a uni student at the moment and this feels more like something you learn from experience than something taught in a lecture but I'll thought I should ask anyway.

Is there an easy way to select materials for engineering projects? I was hoping to find there is a nice dictionary sized compilation of both standard and patented materials, listing their engineering and physical properties ad who makes the stuff, maybe with an easy to use contents page that helps you track down what you need.

So far I've had to trawl through pdf after pdf blindly looking for the material I need. It's not too bad if it's a common steel like 4130, but I just spent several hours trying to track down something that would fit project I'm working on (completely unrelated to uni) before tentatively settling on Aermet 100. There must be an easier way to do this.

Any tips? I'm not adverse to buying a hardcopy reference manual if it save me time. I figured you guys in the Material's Engineering section would be better to ask than the mechanical.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nidum said:

I think you've misunderstood what I'm asking. I know how to select what material properties are needed for a given task, what I'm having trouble with is converting that into actual materials. I'm looking for any easy way to find the material I need from the given properties. Either a book or a computer program that can search a database for materials based on properties I can enter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes billy_joule

Related to Easy way to figure out what material to use in a project?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a material for my project?

When choosing a material for a project, there are several factors to consider such as the project's purpose, the desired properties of the material, and its availability and cost. You should also take into account the project's environment, as certain materials may be better suited for outdoor or high-temperature use.

2. How do I determine the properties of different materials?

The properties of a material can be determined through research and testing. You can consult reliable sources such as material data sheets or conduct experiments to determine properties like strength, durability, flexibility, and conductivity.

3. Is there a specific material that is best for all types of projects?

No, there is no one material that is perfect for all projects. The best material for a project depends on its specific requirements and the intended use of the project. It's important to carefully consider the materials available and their properties to determine the most suitable option for your project.

4. How do I ensure the chosen material is safe for my project?

Safety should always be a top priority when choosing a material for a project. It's important to research the potential hazards and risks associated with the material and take necessary precautions. If unsure, consult with a professional for guidance on proper handling and use of the material.

5. Can I mix different materials for my project?

Yes, it is possible to use a combination of materials for a project. This can sometimes be beneficial as it allows you to take advantage of the different properties of each material. However, it's important to ensure compatibility and proper bonding between the materials to ensure the project's success and longevity.