Easy Way to Draw Structures to Post Here anyone?

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary: From what I gather, chime incorporates RasMol's rendering engine, so in order to get the structures into a chime-compatible format, you've got to use RasMol.
maverick280857
Hi

I've been wondering...there are quite a few folks who would like to post their organic chemistry problems here (including, possibly me, in future). But to do that properly, one must be able to give his/her solution/mechanism/question in the form of structures and not just words as it would make reasoning easier that way. Since we already have access to LaTeX on this system, is there any additional tool that we can use (perhaps online or even offline will do) which can accurately draw the structures for us so that they can be posted on PF as images? (A tool in the free domain would be nice...have tried RasMol and others but I wonder which is the best/easiest/quickest to use...)

Cheers
Vivek

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Some websites use CHIME, but I don't know much about it. In my experience it works well with PCs but sucks on Macs. I have no idea if it is free domain either.

There is a program out there called ISIS draw, which is very easy to use.

You could always draw it with chemdraw/chemsketch and then copy it to a bmp/jpg file, and then upload it on to some webspace giving us the URL to look. Or you could name the structures (good practise) or type it out!

For example, I could type phenyl-2-propanone as being (C6H5)-(CH2COCH3).

But it would be easier to just draw it! And we'd be able to incorporate mechanisms into the drawings. Instead of taking the longggggggg time explaining what could be drawn in a matter of seconds.

You could also just use regular draw in microsoft windows. It would be a pain because you would have to switch between text and drawing options, but it is possible just to use draw.

The only problem in using a program that is not specialized for organic chemistry structures is that a lot of time is spent in making the skeletons. I could tell you the compound names (and yes thunderfvck, it would give me good practise :wink:) but it would be very tedious for everyone else to figure out the reaction and get back to me.

I will try the programs you folks have mentioned though...

(I thought Chime is just a plugin...)

Cheers
Vivek

maverick280857 said:
(I thought Chime is just a plugin...)

Yeah, it might be. I'm not sure. But the structures have to get in there somehow, right?

This seems interesting: http://www.umass.edu/microbio/chime/

From what I gather, chime incorporates RasMol's rendering engine, so in order to get the structures into a chime-compatible format, you've got to use RasMol.

Cheers
Vivek

Related to Easy Way to Draw Structures to Post Here anyone?

1. How do I draw chemical structures in a clear and organized way?

The easiest way to draw chemical structures is by using a software or online tool specifically designed for this purpose. These tools often have features that allow you to draw bonds, add atoms and functional groups, and adjust the layout of the structure. Some popular options include ChemDraw, ChemSketch, and MarvinSketch.

2. Can I draw structures on paper and still have them be easy to post online?

Yes, you can draw structures on paper and then scan or take a photo of them to post online. However, it is important to make sure the image is clear and legible, and that the structure is drawn neatly and labeled appropriately. You can also use a drawing tablet and software like Adobe Illustrator to create digital versions of your structures.

3. Do I need to have a background in chemistry to draw chemical structures?

While having a basic understanding of chemistry can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a background in chemistry to draw chemical structures. Many software and online tools have templates and guides that make it easy for anyone to draw structures. Additionally, there are tutorials and resources available online for beginners.

4. How can I make my chemical structures look professional and visually appealing?

There are a few things you can do to make your chemical structures look more professional and visually appealing. First, make sure the bonds and atoms are drawn neatly and consistently. You can also use different colors to differentiate between different parts of the structure. Adding labels and using a clear and readable font can also enhance the overall appearance of your structure.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for drawing chemical structures?

Yes, there are some general rules and guidelines for drawing chemical structures. For example, bonds should be drawn as straight lines, and atoms should be represented by their chemical symbol. It is also important to show the correct number of bonds for each atom and to use correct bond angles. Additionally, there are specific rules for representing different types of functional groups and stereochemistry.