Easy way of counting # processeses running?

In summary, this person wants to count the number of processes on a system. They found a bash script that does this, and adapted it to their question. They used the popen/fgets method to get stdout.
ORF
hello

I needed to count the number of processes (with the same name). I found that this bash script works,
Code:
#!/bin/bash
exit $(ps cax | grep firefox | wc -l);

and the exit value can be caught by this code
Code:
#include <stdlib.h>   // sytem
#include <iostream> // std::cout, std::endl

int main()
{
  int ret = system("./myBashScript.sh 2>&1 > /dev/null");
  std::cerr << "Number of firefox sessions: " << WEXITSTATUS(ret) << std::endl;
  return 0;
}

This way is dirty and limited to linux.

Can this job be done by a C/C++ routine, non-OS dependent? Or at least, can this job avoid calling "ps cax | grep firefox | wc -l" as an external bash script?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
ORF

Technology news on Phys.org
Using the snippet from https://stackoverflow.com/questions...nd-get-output-of-command-within-c-using-posix and adapting it to your particular question, an answer to "or at least ..." could be

Code:
#include <cstdio>
#include <iostream>
#include <memory>
#include <stdexcept>
#include <string>
#include <array>

std::string exec(const char* cmd) {
    std::array<char, 128> buffer;
    std::string result;
    std::shared_ptr<FILE> pipe(popen(cmd, "r"), pclose);
    if (!pipe) throw std::runtime_error("popen() failed!");
    while (!feof(pipe.get())) {
        if (fgets(buffer.data(), 128, pipe.get()) != nullptr) {
            result += buffer.data();
   }
    }
    return result;
}

int main()
{
  const std::string result = exec("ps cax | grep firefox | wc -l");
  const int nSessions = std::stoi(result);
  std::cerr << "Number of firefox sessions: " << nSessions << std::endl;
  return 0;
}
(I used the c++11 version and changed "std::nullptr" to "nullptr". In the unlikely case your compiler does not support c++11 the stackoverflow page also has a function using older c++ versions).

EDIT What system do you have? In Windows you just go to the Task Manager, " For the rest of us".

Last edited:
WWGD said:
EDIT What system do you have? In Windows you just go to the Task Manager, " For the rest of us".
My sense is that OP wants to count processes programmatically.

ORF said:
Can this job be done by a C/C++ routine, non-OS dependent?
No.
Wait... are you sure that you're doing it right? system() returns the exit code of your script (which should be 0.) You want to get stdout. For this, I recommend using popen(), fgets(), and pclose().

If you want something platform independent, then you need to write something for it:
Code:
class Process {
public:
   std::string run(const std::string & cmd){
      //everything below is pseudocode
      #ifdef WIN32
            CreatePipe(&read, &write, &attr, 0);
            CreateProcessA(cmd);
            WaitForSingleObject();
      #else
            pipe = popen(cmd);
            fgets loop;
            pclose(pipe);
      #endif
   }
}

Hello

Mark44 said:
My sense is that OP wants to count processes programmatically.
Yes, that would be the idea

newjerseyrunner said:
Wait... are you sure that you're doing it right? system() returns the exit code of your script (which should be 0.)
It was a dirty way... the returned value is 0, but you can catch the number of processes using WEXITSTATUS.

Thank you all: the popen/pclose was the proper way of doing it.

Regards!

Likes newjerseyrunner
It is called system programming. Basically you go into kernel mode(windows and linux/unix) and enumerate a data structure called the process_masthead.
Being realistic, I am sure you do not want to do this. For example do you know the system apis and functions involved?
https://blog.codinghorror.com/understanding-user-and-kernel-mode/ Windows only. Unsurprisingly, linux is different. It has kernel mode as well, just to be clear.

As a practical answer, I would go to the GNU (gnu herd) site or the linux kernel site and download the code and spend a month or so learning it. I did this for Solaris 8 long ago and it was very enlightening. The alternative: use system code already in place. sysinternals has good code you can call for all of your system needs on windows -- using the system() method.

https://www.sysinternals.com which is now part of MS technet, some of their process enumeration code was there last time I looked. They have really great standalone executables.

Related to Easy way of counting # processeses running?

1. How do I count the number of processes running on my computer?

To count the number of processes running on your computer, you can use the built-in Task Manager on Windows or Activity Monitor on Mac. These tools will show you the total number of processes currently running.

2. Can I count processes on a remote computer?

Yes, you can use a remote monitoring tool such as Windows Performance Monitor or Sysinternals' Process Explorer to count processes on a remote computer.

3. Are there any command line tools for counting processes?

Yes, you can use the "ps" command on Linux or macOS to list all processes and then use the "wc" command to count the number of lines in the output.

4. How can I determine which processes are using the most resources?

You can use the Task Manager or Activity Monitor to sort processes by CPU or memory usage. This will help you identify which processes are using the most resources on your computer.

5. Is there a limit to the number of processes that can run on a computer?

The number of processes that can run on a computer is limited by the amount of available memory and processing power. However, most modern computers can handle a large number of processes simultaneously without any issues.