EASY Question from Physics Beginner

In summary, the person is preparing to take Intro to Physics in the Fall but is worried because they have never taken physics before and struggle with math. They found a helpful website and are trying to understand the concept of acceleration in a negative direction, using a graph with positive and negative axes as an example. They also mention the use of positive and negative directions in experiments and how friction is an example of negative acceleration. They express their gratitude and plan to continue using the website in the future.
physicsvirgin
I am going to be taking Intro to Physics in the Fall when I go back to college. I've always been terrible in mathematics and have never taken physics before!

I found a cool little website called physicsclassroom.com. In an effort to get a head start on what will most likely be my toughest subject, I have printed out Lesson One which reads like Greek to me. I am positive someone can answer this question though.

Regarding acceleration, the tutorial states "In Example D, the object is moving in the negative direction (i.e. has a negative velocity) and is speeding up." I understand WHAT it is saying (i.e., I would be able to answer a question on a test) but I do not understand WHY, or HOW, rather, something can move in a "negative direction." To me, there is up,down, left and right -all of which are positives. If something is moving, it's going somewhere tangible. To move in a negative direction makes me assume it is going someone INtangible. Is the object going to Hell?

Can someone give me a real-life example of something moving in a negative direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration is a Vector quantity. Vectors have both magnitude and direction. Therefore, some direction is chosen as positive, and the 'other' direction is negative.

We talk about negatives and positives when we setup our problem on the basis of a coordinate system. The Y and X axis is a good place to start. Remember that? Regular ol plain graph. Well, at 0,0, or the origin (center), nothing is happening yet. When you start going into a "negative" direction however, you are going in the -x or -y and since there is an origin designated as 0,0, it is obvious that there indeed is a "negative" direction. Theres no "negative" movement in real life but for the sake of doing calculations and graphing and working with problems, there is according to our graphs.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be positive (no pun intended!). I figured it had something to do with that darn X & Y axis!

Thanks though! I'm sure I'll become a regular here!

welcome physicsvirgin

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more of me in the future.

physicsvirgin said:
That's what I thought, but I wanted to be positive (no pun intended!). I figured it had something to do with that darn X & Y axis!
It's more than just about the X and Y axis though. When doing experiments, you have to pick some quantity by which all else can be referenced. When if are experimenting with, for example, motion and friction of a moving object (such as a toy car), you will call its forward direction positive. Friction (i.e. brakes), rather than "decelerating" the car, apply a "negative acceleration".

Related to EASY Question from Physics Beginner

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that studies the nature and properties of matter and energy, as well as their interactions. It is a fundamental science that helps us understand the world around us and make predictions about how things will behave under different conditions.

What are the basic principles of physics?

The basic principles of physics are the laws and theories that describe the behavior of matter and energy. These include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, the theory of relativity, and the laws of electromagnetism. These principles help us understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems in our universe.

What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics is the study of physical phenomena at a macroscopic scale, while modern physics deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic scale. Classical physics includes Newtonian mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, while modern physics includes quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to solving problems and answering questions through observation, experimentation, and analysis. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. The scientific method is used in all areas of science, including physics.

Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand how the world works and enables us to make advancements in technology and medicine. It also allows us to solve practical problems and make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy. Additionally, the principles of physics are used in other fields, such as engineering, astronomy, and chemistry.