Easy Problems, but just cant figure it out Help

• Thread starter mlsbbe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the first question asks how to calculate the number of accidents per 1000 people per year. The answer is that you take the number of accidents per mile and multiply it by 1000.
mlsbbe
Hi guys,

Need some help solving the following problems below..

For some reason, I cannot solve these darn problems..They should be really easy...

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mlsbbe! :wink:

show us what you've done, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

stuck on everything...
don't even know how to approach the questions!

I don't think the questions make any sense at all...

For the first question:

9.6*(10000/1000000)=0.096 will give the accidents for 10 000 miles. But will still need to solve for 1000 people.

How to do that? I can multiply the value in the first column by 1000, i.e. 0.125*1000=125, but this will give accidents per 1000 people per year.

You can't multiply or divide the above values because we don't know various things:

(1) For the first value (0.096), we don't know how many people
(2) For the second value (125), we don't know how many miles

Feeling really stupid...this is supposed to be solved in a minute...

Last edited:
hmmm … i see what you mean …

this group of 1,000 men drive 10,000 miles in one year …

so do we take the given accident rate per mileage (answer 96), or the given accident rate per time (answer 125)? :confused:

i'm going to ask around for some help on this :redface:

ok, I've had some help :biggrin:, and i think the answer is this …

the primary statistic is the number of accidents per mile, simply because, for any particular driver, we expect accidents to depend on mileage rather than on time …

assuming accidents are random, if you drive twice as far, you should have (roughly) twice as many accidents

(of course, there will be exceptions … for example, if someone is a very good driver, but has accidents when he gets drunk, then his accident rate will be proportional to the number of times he gets drunk, which presumably depends on time rather than on mileage … also, a lot of accidents happen very close to the beginning and end of a journey, so someone prone to those will have an accident rate proportional to the number of journeys, not to the length of the journeys … but i think the question expects you to assume that most accidents do depend on mileage)

in that case, the rate per mile is the primary statistic, and any observed rate per year will be a less reliable secondary statistic to be used only if you can't use the primary one

hmm … that doesn't entirely convince me :redface: … but I'm pretty sure it's what the examiners intended :smile:

(btw, what have you managed on the other question?)

hmm
thanks
really weird question..
seems like you need a lot of assumptions here...

Related to Easy Problems, but just cant figure it out Help

1. What are some common reasons for struggling with seemingly easy problems?

There could be a variety of reasons for struggling with easy problems. Some common ones include lack of understanding of the basic concepts, overlooking important details, making careless mistakes, or lacking the necessary skills or knowledge to solve the problem.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for easier problems?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is through practice. Take on more challenging problems and try to break them down into smaller, more manageable steps. Additionally, make sure to review and understand the relevant concepts and techniques for solving the type of problem you are struggling with.

3. What are some strategies for approaching easy problems that I can't seem to figure out?

One strategy is to take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or using visualization techniques to better understand the problem. Another helpful strategy is to talk to someone else about the problem and see if they have any insights or suggestions.

4. How can I avoid making careless mistakes when solving easy problems?

To avoid making careless mistakes, it is important to double-check your work and review your steps to ensure accuracy. You can also try using a different approach or method to solve the problem. Additionally, taking breaks and coming back to the problem with a fresh mind can also help reduce careless errors.

5. What resources are available to help with solving easy problems?

There are many resources available to help with solving easy problems, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study groups, and tutoring services. You can also reach out to your teacher or professor for extra help or clarification on the problem.