Easy problem but i'm getting something wrong

• Thread starter tgoot84
  • Start date
In summary, a shopping cart with a mass of 14.5 kg and a force of 11.0 N applied to it moves a distance of 3.4137 meters in 3.00 seconds due to an average speed of 1.14 m/s. The average speed is calculated by averaging the initial speed of 0 m/s and the final speed of 2.28 m/s. This can also be found using the equation x=1/2at^2, with a being the acceleration of 0.7586 m/s2 and t being 3 seconds.
tgoot84
In a grocery store, you push a 14.5 kg shopping cart with a force of 11.0 N. If the cart starts at rest, how far does it move in 3.00 s?

i've got that acceleration = force/mass

so the acceleration i got was .7586
but for some reason i keep getting the answer to the problem wrong

theanswer is in meters

_____m

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you finding the distance?

Please show us what you have done.

Think I'll just let Integral handle it...

Just ignore this post.

cookiemonster

my work

as i got .7586 m/s2 as the acceleration,

i multiplied by 3 seconds to get 2.28 m/s

then i multiplied 2.28x 3 seconds to get 6.83 meters

But it wasn't going 2.28m/s the whole time. That's the problem.

You know the velocity formula obviously. Just integrate that to get a distance formula.

[tex]d = \int V dt[/tex]

[tex]d = \int (V_i + at) dt[/tex]

[tex]d = V_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2 + d_o[/tex]

Sorry for making it sound complicated, I just wanted to write that

The answer should be 3.4137m

Last edited:

Originally posted by tgoot84
as i got .7586 m/s2 as the acceleration,

i multiplied by 3 seconds to get 2.28 m/s

then i multiplied 2.28x 3 seconds to get 6.83 meters

ShawnD pointed out your error: the final speed, at the end of the 3 seconds is 2.28 m/s. It was not going at that speed all the time. If you have not taken calculus, you can use this "short cut": as long as the acceleration is a constant, you can find the "average" speed by averaging the first and last speeds.

The shopping carts initial speed was, of course, 0. After 3 seconds, it had a speed of 2.28 m/s. The average speed was (2.28+0)/2= 1.14 m/s. How far did the shopping cart go at an average speed of 1.14 m/s for 3 seconds?

Oh cool. I didn't know you could do that.

One of the given equations in a non calculus class is something like

[tex] x= \frac 1 2 a t^2 + v_0t + x_0 [/tex]

For this problem

[tex] v_0 =0 [/tex] and [tex] x_0 = 0 [/tex]

you have a and t, simply do the computation to get the same result obtained above.

Related to Easy problem but i'm getting something wrong

1. What are some common mistakes that can lead to getting a seemingly easy problem wrong?

There are a few common mistakes that can lead to getting an easy problem wrong, such as careless errors in calculations, misinterpreting the question, or forgetting to consider certain variables. It's important to double check your work and make sure you understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

2. How can I avoid making simple mistakes when solving an easy problem?

One way to avoid making simple mistakes is to slow down and carefully read the question. Make sure you understand what is being asked and what information you have been given. It's also helpful to write out each step of your solution and check your work as you go.

3. Why do I keep making errors on easy problems even though I understand the concept?

Sometimes, even if we understand the concept, we can still make mistakes due to lack of attention or rushing through the problem. It's important to stay focused and take your time when solving problems, even if they seem easy.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills to avoid getting easy problems wrong?

Practice makes perfect! The more you practice solving problems, the more familiar you will become with various techniques and strategies. It's also helpful to review your mistakes and understand where you went wrong in order to improve in the future.

5. What should I do if I keep getting easy problems wrong despite trying different approaches?

If you find that you are consistently getting easy problems wrong, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. They may be able to offer a different perspective or help identify where you may be making mistakes. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it!