Easy Energy Conservation. Spring, Incline/Ramp, Friction.

In summary, a crate on an incline with a compressed spring moves up the ramp and stops. The question is how far was the spring compressed. A hint is given to use an equation for energy conservation. The conversation discusses the formulation of the equation and a mistake in the expression for the normal force. After some tweaks, the person seeking help realizes their mistake and thanks the expert for their assistance.
mcleanrs

Homework Statement

Question for search purposes:

A crate is placed against a compressed spring on an incline. When the spring is released, the crate moves up the ramp and comes to a stop.

How far was the spring compressed?

Hint: The mass and the spring may not be in contact at the end.

13-2-q.png

13-2-1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for energy conservation looks okay. I would have formulated it as:

spring elastic potential energy lost = grav. potential energy gained + work done by friction

which is a slightly more intuitive ordering to me.

It looks like you forgot a factor of g in your expression for the normal force, which should of course end up having units of force, not mass.

Thanks for your help. I agree that they were ordered funny -- but by the time I realized that, I was feeling too lazy to redo my diagram!

Anyway, I tweaked some things, and now my answer is even further off! I am being tested on this Monday, so I appreciate the help...got to figure these concepts out!

I just double and triple checked this for accuracy...I am getting exactly what my math is telling me I should get, so I must have set something up wrong or something.

13-2-2.png

Hold it -- duh. Hold it. Got my spring equation off a little.

Solution

13-2-3.png

Glad to see you sorted it out.

Yeah, thanks for the help. It's hard to wander through the algebra forest looking for mistakes when you're not even sure your Physics is right ;)

Related to Easy Energy Conservation. Spring, Incline/Ramp, Friction.

1. What is the concept of easy energy conservation?

Easy energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used in daily activities and processes. This can include simple actions such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, as well as using more efficient appliances and transportation methods.

2. How can I conserve energy during the spring season?

One way to conserve energy during the spring is to take advantage of natural light by opening windows and using natural ventilation instead of relying on air conditioning. Additionally, planting trees and shrubs around your home can provide shade and reduce the need for cooling systems.

3. How does an incline or ramp affect energy conservation?

An incline or ramp can make it easier to conserve energy when moving objects by reducing the amount of force needed. For example, using a ramp to move heavy objects instead of lifting them can save energy. It can also be used to generate energy, such as in a hydroelectric power plant.

4. How does friction impact energy conservation?

Friction is a force that resists motion, and it can impact energy conservation by causing objects to slow down or stop. By reducing friction through the use of lubricants or more efficient materials, less energy is needed to overcome this force and keep objects in motion.

5. What are some practical ways to incorporate energy conservation into daily life?

Some practical ways to incorporate energy conservation into daily life include using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and practicing small actions such as taking shorter showers and washing laundry in cold water.