Easy electrical engineering question - why is my answer wrong?

In summary, this person attempted to solve a problem using mesh analysis and found that they got the wrong answer because of the passive sign convention.
159753x
Hi! This is simple mesh analysis. I wanted to try to solve the problem with nodal analysis.

1. Homework Statement

nk2azm6.jpg

Homework Equations

V = IR

We are supposed to use mesh analysis or node analysis.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First step: the two current sources (independent and dependent) in the middle branch are in parallel. Therefore, they can be replaced with a single current source with current I = 3 + v(x)/4.

Second: according to Ohm's law, v(x) = I * 2. But since the 2-ohm resistor is in series with the current source I = 3 + v(x)/4, that is the current running through it.

Third: simply solving for v(x), I do the following -->

v(x) = I * 2
I = 3 + v(x)/4
v(x) = (3 + v(x)/4) * 2
v(x) = 6 + v(x)/2
v(x)/2 = 6
v(x) = 12
v(x) = -12 V because the current is going up the branch.

It seems correct to me. However, the answer in the solutions manual is -4V. They get this from mesh analysis.

Also, to get i(x), we would use node analysis with only one node (the top of the circuit). From there, we can easily solve for the voltage at the node and get i(x) from that.

I was a little hesitant to us mesh analysis because that would involve removing the resistor in the middle branch. I know you can remove the current sources if they are between branches, but if there is a resistor attached, can you still do it?

Can someone point out where I have made an error? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the direction of the current flowing through the 2 Ohm resistor versus the defined polarity of vx. Then ponder on your choice of signs for your equation, v(x) = (3 + v(x)/4) * 2.

Likes 159753x
Ahhhhhhh. So the equation should really be -1 * v(x) = 2 * I because of the passive sign convention and the direction of the current.

Then it becomes
v(x) = -(3 + v(x)/4) * 2
v(x) = -6 + -v(x)/2
(3/2) v(x) = -6
v(x) = -12/3 = -4 V

Thanks for pointing that out gneill! I understand now. Question solved!

Related to Easy electrical engineering question - why is my answer wrong?

1. Why did I get the wrong answer when I followed all the steps correctly?

There could be several reasons for this. Firstly, check your calculations to make sure they are accurate. Small errors in calculations can lead to significantly different results. Also, make sure you are using the correct units and conversions. Additionally, check if you have used the correct formula for the given problem. Lastly, double-check your inputs and make sure they are correct.

2. Is it possible that the problem is incorrect and not my answer?

Yes, it is possible. Sometimes, the given problem may have incorrect information or may be missing some information that is necessary for solving it accurately. It is always a good idea to double-check the problem statement and consult with your instructor or peers if you are unsure about the accuracy of the problem.

3. Can I use alternative methods or formulas to solve the problem?

Yes, you can use alternative methods or formulas to solve a problem as long as they are mathematically equivalent. However, it is important to make sure that you are using the correct formula and method for the specific problem at hand. It is always a good practice to show your work and explain your reasoning in your solution to avoid confusion.

4. How can I improve my understanding of the concept if I keep getting the wrong answer?

If you are consistently getting the wrong answer, it may be helpful to review the concept and practice more problems. You can also seek help from your instructor or peers to clarify any doubts or misconceptions. Additionally, try to break down the problem into smaller steps and double-check your work at each step to identify where you may be making mistakes.

5. Is it possible to get the correct answer by simply guessing?

No, it is highly unlikely that you will get the correct answer by guessing. Electrical engineering problems involve complex calculations and a deep understanding of concepts. Guessing may lead to random or incorrect answers, which will not help in improving your understanding of the subject. It is important to follow the correct steps and use the appropriate formulas to solve the problem accurately.