Easy and useful way to calculate Log(a+b)

In summary, when a and b are both real numbers and c is a positive real number, the equation Logc(a+b) ≈ Logc(a) + Logc(√a⋅b) is valid only when a=b=2. This is because, in the limit when (a-b) approaches 0, the equation simplifies to Logc(2a) = 2Logc(a), which is only true when a=b=2. Therefore, this equation is not useful for general cases.
guifb99
a>b ⇒ Lim(a–b)→0 Logc(a+b) ≈ Logc(a) + Logc(√a⋅b)

b>a ⇒ Lim(b–a)→0 Logc(a+b) ≈ Logc(a) + Logc(√a⋅b)

a∈ℝ
b∈ℝ
c∈ℝ / c>0

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
guifb99 said:
a>b ⇔ Lim(a–b)→0 Logc(a+b) ≈ Logc(a) + Logc(√a⋅b)

b>a ⇔ Lim(b–a)→0 Logc(a+b) ≈ Logc(a) + Logc(√a⋅b)

a∈ℝ
b∈ℝ
c∈ℝ / c>0

Yes, this is the second post I do about it, but now I did it in a better format, the other one was too confusing because I didn't know how to use the mathematical symbols in the thread, I'm new here.

guifb99 said:
a>b ⇒ Lim(a–b)→0 Logc(a+b) ≈ Logc(a) + Logc(√a⋅b)

b>a ⇒ Lim(b–a)→0 Logc(a+b) ≈ Logc(a) + Logc(√a⋅b)
I don't see the point of writing this as a limit. Also, when you take a limit, use =, not ≈.
[QUOTE="guifb99]
a∈ℝ
b∈ℝ
[/quote]These won't do. You need to have a + b > 0 and ab > 0, not just arbitrary real numbers.
[QUOTE="guifb99]
c∈ℝ / c>0[/QUOTE]
Also, c cannot be 1.

But this only calculates log(a+b) in the limit when (a-b) = 0 i.e. a=b. Then we have $$
\begin{align*} \log(a+b) &= \log(2a) = \log 2 + \log a \\
\log a + \log \sqrt{a \cdot a} &= 2 \log a \end{align*}
$$ So your equation is only true when a=b=2: that doesn't look very useful to me.

Related to Easy and useful way to calculate Log(a+b)

1. How do I calculate Log(a+b) without using a calculator?

There are several ways to calculate Log(a+b) without a calculator. One method is to use logarithm rules to rewrite the expression into a more manageable form. For example, Log(a+b) can be rewritten as Log(a) + Log(1+b/a). Another method is to use the Taylor series expansion, which involves using a polynomial approximation to calculate the logarithm. Additionally, there are several online tools and apps available that can quickly and accurately calculate logarithms.

2. Why is it important to know how to calculate Log(a+b)?

Calculating Log(a+b) is important in various fields of science and mathematics, such as statistics, physics, and engineering. It is often used in calculations involving exponential growth and decay, and in solving equations involving logarithms. Knowing how to calculate logarithms can also help in understanding and interpreting data presented on a logarithmic scale.

3. What is the difference between Log(a+b) and Log(a) + Log(b)?

Log(a+b) and Log(a) + Log(b) are both expressions involving logarithms, but they are not equivalent. Log(a+b) represents the logarithm of the sum of two numbers, while Log(a) + Log(b) represents the sum of the logarithms of two numbers. In other words, Log(a+b) is a single logarithmic term, while Log(a) + Log(b) is the sum of two separate logarithmic terms.

4. Can Log(a+b) be negative?

Yes, Log(a+b) can be negative. This occurs when the sum of a and b is less than 1. In this case, the logarithm of the sum will be a negative number. It is important to note that logarithms of negative numbers or zero are undefined.

5. How can I check if my calculation of Log(a+b) is correct?

One way to check the accuracy of your calculation of Log(a+b) is to use a calculator or online tool to compare the results. Another way is to use logarithm rules to simplify the expression and see if it matches your calculated value. Finally, you can also check if your calculation is reasonable by plugging in values for a and b and verifying if the result is consistent with the properties of logarithms.