How Do You Calculate the Area of a Motel Given Wall Lengths?

The resulting equation will give you the area A as a function of x alone, i.e. A(x).In summary, A(x) = 5*x*y/5, where y = 300 - 8x. This is a quadratic function.
bleedblue1234

Homework Statement

A small motel is to be built as shown in the sketch with two long walls y feet long each and 6 short walls x feet long each. The total length of the walls is to be 300 feet.

Let A(x) be the number of sq feet area taken up by the motel. Write the particular equation for A(x). What kind of function is this?
y
-----------------
| | | | | | x
| | | | | |
-----------------

something like that

Homework Equations

y = ax^2 + bx + c

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea where to start

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total length of all of the walls is 300'.
The six short walls define five rectangular regions - count them in your text drawing. What are the dimensions of the width and length of each rectangle?
What is the area of each rectangle?
What is the total area of all five rectangles?

How is y = ax^2 + bx + c a relevant equation?

Mark44 said:
The total length of all of the walls is 300'.
The six short walls define five rectangular regions - count them in your text drawing. What are the dimensions of the width and length of each rectangle?

How is y = ax^2 + bx + c a relevant equation?

yes but it asks for a particular function and i get y*6x and this is not quadratic...

bleedblue1234 said:
yes but it asks for a particular function and i get y*6x and this is not quadratic...
The problem asks for A(x), meaning a function of just x (no y in it). Since you don't have a function of x alone, you don't know whether the one you really want is quadratic or not. How did you get y*6x as the area?

You haven't taken into account that the total length of all of the walls is 300'.

I'll ask my questions again.

I'll keep asking them until you answer them.

The quoted equation is called a quadratic, and if your teacher is responsible you'll have notes on how to deal with quadratics. Usually the job is done by formula:

Given a, b, and c

If ax^2+bx+c=0 then:

x=(-b+-(b^2-4ac))/(2a)

arithmetix said:
The quoted equation is called a quadratic, and if your teacher is responsible you'll have notes on how to deal with quadratics. Usually the job is done by formula:
Given a, b, and c
If ax^2+bx+c=0 then:
x=(-b+-(b^2-4ac))/(2a)

You're waaaaaay ahead of the OP. He/she is still trying to find a formula for the area of the enclosed rectangles. Let's hold off on solving quadratic equations until he/she at least comes up with a function.

The six short walls define five rectangular regions - count them in your text drawing. What are the dimensions of the width and length of each rectangle? w= x and l = y/6
What is the area of each rectangle? x * y/6 or y*6x
What is the total area of all five rectangles? (5)(y*6x) <= 300

haha holy crap i am bad i am sooo sick tonight i can't even think how to add numbers... i am usually very good at this sort of stuff and have done fine on all of the other models...

arithmetix said:

Given a, b, and c

If ax^2+bx+c=0 then:

x=(-b+-(b^2-4ac))/(2a)
Please read questions carefully before you respond. The original post asked only for the area as a quadratic equation. Nothing is said about solving the equation.

bleedblue1234 said:
The six short walls define five rectangular regions - count them in your text drawing. What are the dimensions of the width and length of each rectangle? w= x and l = y/6
The width is x, yes, but the length of each one is y/5.
bleedblue1234 said:
What is the area of each rectangle? x * y/6 or y*6x
The area of each rectangle is x*y/5. Note that your answer x*y/6 is NOT equal to y*6x.
bleedblue1234 said:
What is the total area of all five rectangles? (5)(y*6x) <= 300
No. The area of each rectangle is x*y/5. There are 5 rectangles, so the total area is 5*x*y/5 = ?
bleedblue1234 said:
haha holy crap i am bad i am sooo sick tonight i can't even think how to add numbers... i am usually very good at this sort of stuff and have done fine on all of the other models...

To summarize, A = 5*x*y/5, which you should simplify. This is the area, but it is not yet a function of x alone. To make it a function of x, you need to work in the other information in this problem, that the total length of the walls, which is 300'.

Look at your drawing and add up the lengths of the 2 walls going across and the 6 walls going up and down. This will give you an equation in x and y.

Solve this equation for y, and substitute for y in your area equation.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Area of a Motel Given Wall Lengths?

1. What is Algebra 2?

Algebra 2 is a branch of mathematics that builds upon the concepts learned in Algebra 1, including equations, inequalities, and functions. It also introduces new topics such as logarithms, matrices, and conic sections.

2. Is Algebra 2 difficult?

The difficulty of Algebra 2 varies for each individual. Some may find it challenging, while others may find it easier. It ultimately depends on your understanding of Algebra 1 and your ability to grasp new concepts.

3. How is Algebra 2 used in real life?

Algebra 2 is used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve problems and make predictions, such as calculating interest rates, designing buildings, and analyzing data.

4. What are some tips for studying Algebra 2?

Some tips for studying Algebra 2 include practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also important to review previous concepts to build a strong foundation.

5. Can I skip Algebra 2?

It is not recommended to skip Algebra 2 as it is an important stepping stone for higher level math courses. It provides a strong foundation for understanding more complex concepts and is often a prerequisite for college courses.