Earth's charge and number of its electron per sq. meter

In summary, the Earth is surrounded by an electric field with a magnitude of E = 167N/C near the surface, which points inward at every point. Using the equation E = kq/r^2, we can find the net charge on the Earth to be -7.56E+05 C. To find the number of excess electrons on the Earth's surface, we need to divide the total charge by the charge of one electron, which gives us a value of 4.71*10^24 electrons. However, the problem asks for the number of excess electrons per square meter on the Earth's surface. To find this, we need to spread out the number of electrons evenly over the surface of the Earth, which can
Hooke's Law

Homework Statement

The Earth is surrounded by an electric field, pointing inward at every point. Assume a magnitude of E = 167N/C near the surface. What is the net charge on the Earth?
How many excess electrons per square meter on the Earth's surface does this correspond to?

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first question I got an answer of -7.56E+05 C, but I don't know how to start with the 2nd one.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the number of coulombs, and each electron has a charge of e- coulombs,...

If I may make a small suggestion, if you do the problem strictly symbolically (don't plug in any numbers until the very end) and you know that k = 1/(4 π εo), then you will amazed at how many things cancel out, and thus how many things you don't need to look up values for.

gneill said:
If you have the number of coulombs, and each electron has a charge of e- coulombs,...

If I may make a small suggestion, if you do the problem strictly symbolically (don't plug in any numbers until the very end) and you know that k = 1/(4 π εo), then you will amazed at how many things cancel out, and thus how many things you don't need to look up values for.

I got the net charge of the earth. Should I divide that charge by the charge of one electron ( -1.6022*10^-19) ? I tried it but it didnt work..

Hooke's Law said:
I got the net charge of the earth. Should I divide that charge by the charge of one electron ( -1.6022*10^-19) ? I tried it but it didnt work..

In what way did it not work? Did it not give you a figure for the total number of electrons?

n = total charge / electron charge = 4.71*10^24

The computer won't accept it, and did I do it right?

Hooke's Law said:
n = total charge / electron charge = 4.71*10^24

The computer won't accept it, and did I do it right?

You've done it right so far. You're not quite done yet! What precisely does the problem want you to find?

It's asking the number of excess electrons per square meter on the Earth's surface.

So I guess the value that I got in my previous post is the the number of electrons but not the excess ones, am I right? How do I find the excess electrons? Does "electrons per square meter" contribute to the problem?

Thanks

Hooke's Law said:
It's asking the number of excess electrons per square meter on the Earth's surface.

So I guess the value that I got in my previous post is the the number of electrons but not the excess ones, am I right? How do I find the excess electrons? Does "electrons per square meter" contribute to the problem?

Thanks

The number you calculated is the number of electrons in excess. You just haven't spread them out evenly over the surface of the Earth yet to find out how many fit per square meter.

So is there some integral needed? integral of the volume of the Earth(sphere)? from 0 to 1 where the numbers correspond the number of squares.

Hooke's Law said:
So is there some integral needed? integral of the volume of the Earth(sphere)? from 0 to 1 where the numbers correspond the number of squares.

The Earth is (to a good approximation) a sphere. What's the surface area of a sphere?

Related to Earth's charge and number of its electron per sq. meter

What is Earth's charge?

Earth's charge refers to the overall electric charge of the planet. The Earth has a negative charge, meaning it has an excess of electrons.

How many electrons are there per square meter on Earth's surface?

The number of electrons per square meter on Earth's surface varies depending on location and environmental factors. On average, there are approximately 5 million trillion electrons per square meter on Earth's surface.

Why does Earth have a negative charge?

Earth's negative charge is due to the accumulation of free electrons on its surface. These electrons are constantly being replenished by cosmic rays, lightning, and other sources.

How does Earth's charge affect the planet?

Earth's charge plays a role in the planet's weather patterns and atmospheric processes. It also affects its interactions with other bodies in space, such as the solar wind and other planets.

Can Earth's charge change?

Yes, Earth's charge can change due to various factors such as solar activity, atmospheric conditions, and human activity. However, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly impact the planet's overall charge.