Earth wire position and charging by induction

In summary, the textbook says that the Earth can be used to charge an object with a negative charge, and that it is not necessary for the Earth to actively accept or donate electrons. The image you provided shows how the Earth's static electricity can be used to create a negative charge on an object.
nobahar
Hello!
Not sure if this should go here, but it's from a physics textbook.
I was reading about charge by induction and the use of an Earth to achieve this.
Here's a wonderfully detailed and exquisite image that took many laborious hours to construct. The red and black Earth's are not intended to be present at the same time, but represent to different to scenarios:
untitled.jpg

So the book says that the Earth is both a source and a sink of electrons, and can be used to charge the object on the left. It says that the object will acquire a negative charge exactly opposite to that of the other charged object. It will acquire this charge from electrons in the earth. The electrons flow into the object and the Earth wire is removed.
However, since the Earth is supposed to act as both a source and a sink, how does it know to input electrons, and not take them away? If the eart wire was where the positive charge has been induced (the black eart wire), then okay. If the Earth wire is placed where the electrons have migrated to (the red Earth wire), to be in close proximity to the positively charged object, do they not then migrate into the Earth - with the Earth acting as a sink?
I am guessing not because the eart does not ACTIVELY act as an electron acceptor or donor, and only responds to demands placed on it: it's not like a charged object that promotes electrons to move. As such, the accumulation of negative charge near to the positively charged object remains there and is not taken into the ground through the red Earth wire because the positive charge holds them in place, and the Earth does not 'compete' for the electrons. Or can a negative charge or a positive charge be introduced based on the location of the Earth wire, with a positive charge being induced in the object through the red Earth wire allowing electrons to be transferred to the earth?
I don't think any of this makes sense...
Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nobahar said:
Hello!
Or can a negative charge or a positive charge be introduced based on the location of the Earth wire, with a positive charge being induced in the object through the red Earth wire allowing electrons to be transferred to the earth?
I don't think any of this makes sense...
Many thanks.

I have read your whole post. I think what I mean is correct yet precise.
Your textbook is correct. Earth can be regarded of sea of electrons and protons and hence is potentially neutral. It is sink of electrons as well as source of electrons.

Now let's move to scenario regarding concept of induction. You bring a positive charged body near a neutral body (both bodies must be good conductor of static electricity). Now this positive charged body attracts electrons from extreme end of neutral body. Thus electrons are attracted and the rightmost end of neutral body having excess of electrons acquires negative charge. Thus the opposite leftmost part acquires positive charge.

Connect both the ends to the Earth wire. Since the electrons in right end are held by strong force they cannot go to Earth , thus only electrons can flow from Earth to the left end and equalize the positive charge.

And yes , you say how can Earth only give electrons and not take them in this case ? Unless you apply any "electromotive force" , electrons will flow from more to less due to net electrostatic attraction.

First attachment is a sequential image of yours and second is its consecutive one when you remove Earth wires.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 497
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
I agree with Sankalpmittal explanation

Thanks Sankalpmittal and technician.

Hello there! I can confirm that the Earth wire plays a crucial role in the process of charging by induction. The Earth wire acts as a pathway for electrons to flow between the charged object and the Earth. When the Earth wire is connected to the charged object, the electrons from the Earth can flow into the object, creating a negative charge on the object. This is because the Earth has an abundance of free electrons, which are attracted to the positively charged object.

However, if the Earth wire is placed where the electrons have migrated to (the red Earth wire), the electrons will not flow into the Earth. This is because the positively charged object is holding onto the electrons, and they are not free to move. The Earth does not actively act as an electron acceptor or donor, as you mentioned. It simply responds to the presence of a charged object by allowing electrons to flow through it.

In terms of the location of the Earth wire, it is important to note that the charge induced on the object will always be opposite in polarity to the charge on the other object. So if the Earth wire is placed near the positively charged object, it will induce a negative charge on the object. On the other hand, if the Earth wire is placed near the negatively charged object, it will induce a positive charge on the object.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Charging by induction is a fascinating concept and it's great that you're exploring it in detail. Keep up the curiosity and keep asking questions!

Related to Earth wire position and charging by induction

1. What is the purpose of an Earth wire in an electrical circuit?

The Earth wire in an electrical circuit is used as a safety measure to protect against electric shocks. It provides a low resistance path for the current to flow to the ground in case of a fault or leakage in the circuit.

2. Where should the Earth wire be positioned in a circuit?

The Earth wire should be positioned close to the live wire in a circuit. This ensures that any fault or leakage in the circuit will be quickly detected and the current will be diverted to the ground before it can cause harm to the user.

3. How does charging by induction work with an Earth wire?

Charging by induction involves using an electrically charged object to induce a charge in a neutral object without direct contact. When an Earth wire is present, it provides a path for the induced charge to flow to the ground, allowing the neutral object to become charged.

4. Can an Earth wire be used for charging a device?

No, an Earth wire is not meant to be used for charging devices. Its purpose is solely for safety measures in a circuit and it is not designed to carry a significant amount of current for charging purposes.

5. Is it necessary to have an Earth wire in all electrical circuits?

Yes, it is necessary to have an Earth wire in all electrical circuits for safety reasons. This is especially important in circuits with high voltage or where water or metal surfaces are present, as they increase the risk of electric shocks.