Calculating Energy Requirements for Changing Satellite Orbits

In summary: First, you need to find the speed of the new orbit. Then you can use the law of gravity and the gravitational PE to find the additional energy that is needed.
jazzchan
if i want to find the supplied energy when the satelite's orbit changed, do i need to find the its velocity or only find its K.E. ??

thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the total energy, PE + KE.

would u mind to tell me more ??

Originally posted by jazzchan
would u mind to tell me more ??
Why don't you explain the problem you are trying to solve? A satellite in orbit has a certain total energy, which depends on the radius of the orbit. To change the orbit, you must add or subtract energy.

my problem is one satellite is changed its orbit from 200 km to 3000 km above the Earth and from the energy was supplied.

First may i need to fidn the velocity change, then find P.E. ??

I take it that your problem is to find the additional energy that must be supplied to a satellite changing from a low orbit to a higher orbit, right?

Since I don't know what you are supposed to know about orbits, I'm not sure what to tell you yet. Tell me how you will find the speed (or KE) of the new orbit and we'll go from there.

To work this kind of problem, you'll have to know about the law of gravity and gravitational PE, and about centripetal acceleration.

sorry ! i give a mistake...
let me say again...

A satellite is uniform circular motion in an orbit 200 km above the surface of the earth. if the satellite change its orbrit to 3000 km above the Earth , how much energy must be supplied ??

I understood your problem correctly. So tell us what you've done so far.

1. How often do satellites need to change their orbit?

Satellites may need to change their orbit for various reasons, such as avoiding collisions with other objects in space or adjusting their position for optimal communication or observational purposes. The frequency of orbit changes varies depending on the specific mission and objectives of the satellite, but it can range from every few days to several years.

2. What factors can affect the need for an orbit change?

Several factors can influence the need for a satellite to change its orbit, including changes in the Earth's gravitational pull, the presence of space debris, and the effects of solar radiation. Additionally, the purpose of the satellite and its desired position in relation to other objects in space can also determine the need for an orbit change.

3. How is the orbit of a satellite changed?

The orbit of a satellite can be changed through the use of thrusters or engines that provide thrust in a specific direction. This thrust can be used to accelerate or decelerate the satellite, altering its velocity and changing its orbit. The amount of thrust and direction of the force applied will determine the magnitude and direction of the orbit change.

4. Can a satellite's orbit be changed more than once?

Yes, a satellite's orbit can be changed multiple times throughout its mission. In fact, many satellites have the capability to make small adjustments to their orbit regularly in order to maintain their desired position and trajectory. However, frequent orbit changes can also consume a significant amount of a satellite's fuel and may limit its overall operational lifespan.

5. What happens to a satellite's old orbit after it is changed?

After a satellite's orbit is changed, its previous orbit will remain in space until it is affected by other gravitational forces or collisions with other objects. In some cases, satellites may be intentionally directed towards the Earth's atmosphere to burn up upon re-entry, which can help to prevent space debris and potential hazards for other spacecraft.