Early galaxies in formative stages: where are they now?

• Thread starter PhanthomJay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxies
In summary: So in a sense, we ARE "knowing" nothing about the present state of things. Ah ... gotcha now. Yes, you're right. We are ASSUMING, without basis in fact but a reasonable assumption nonetheless, that the sun...or any other object in the present day...has already ceased to exist. So in a sense, we ARE "knowing" nothing about the present state of things.
PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
OK , so Hubbell took a picture of an early infant galaxy as it existed 10 billion years ago or so with its light just now reaching its cameras. . We've all seen the pics. Let's call it Galaxy A. I'd like to know, where is that galaxy A now as it presently exists , 10 billion years later in the year 2012? Is it possibleto know or even predict anything about it in its present state of existence?

Space news on Phys.org
PhanthomJay said:
OK , so Hubbell took a picture of an early infant galaxy as it existed 10 billion years ago or so with its light just now reaching its cameras. . We've all seen the pics. Let's call it Galaxy A. I'd like to know, where is that galaxy A now as it presently exists , 10 billion years later in the year 2012? Is it possibleto know or even predict anything about it in its present state of existence?

"Know". No. It is casually disconnected from us by 10 billion years, so in terms of "know", we'll always be 10 billion years late in knowing what's going on with it and of course at some point it will pass out of our observable universe due to the expansion so even that link won't last forever.

It is LIKELY that it is now a grown-up galaxy in pretty much the same direction in which we now see it as an infant in our present and its past, just MUCH farther away.

PhanthomJay said:

One of the principles of cosmology is that at a given time, things look more or less the same in all parts of the universe.

So a random galaxy that you see 10 billion years ago, should today look more or less like the nearby galaxies we see today. Conversely, looking at galaxies that are 10 billion years old gives you an idea of how our galaxy looked 10 billion years ago.

OK, thanks to both of you for the responses. I sort of anticipated this. But what's bothering me is that on the one hand, we seem to know everything about how much matter, dark, matter , and dark energy exist in the universe, in pretty exact pecentages, mind you, and yet on the other hand, we know nearly nothing about the universe as it presently exists. How do you explain this paradox?

PhanthomJay said:
OK, thanks to both of you for the responses. I sort of anticipated this. But what's bothering me is that on the one hand, we seem to know everything about how much matter, dark, matter , and dark energy exist in the universe, in pretty exact pecentages, mind you, and yet on the other hand, we know nearly nothing about the universe as it presently exists. How do you explain this paradox?

I don't understand why you see any paradox because I don't agree that we we know nearly nothing about the universe as it presently exists. I'd say we know quite a remarkable amount. It may not seem like much when looked back on in a thousand years, but still "nearly nothing" ? --- I just don't get that at all.

phinds said:
I don't understand why you see any paradox because I don't agree that we we know nearly nothing about the universe as it presently exists. I'd say we know quite a remarkable amount. It may not seem like much when looked back on in a thousand years, but still "nearly nothing" ? --- I just don't get that at all.
Well, that's what you told me, no? That we know nothing about the early galaxies in their present state, or about anything whose light has not yet reached us...heck, maybe the sun has disintegrated but we won't know that until 8 minutes from now...an unlikely occurrence for sure but do you catch my drift??

PhanthomJay said:
Well, that's what you told me, no? That we know nothing about the early galaxies in their present state, or about anything whose light has not yet reached us...heck, maybe the sun has disintegrated but we won't know that until 8 minutes from now...an unlikely occurrence for sure but do you catch my drift??

Ah ... gotcha now. Yes, you're right. We are ASSUMING, without basis in fact but a reasonable assumption nonetheless, that the sun hasn't disintegrated and such.

Every "new" event, a supernova say, is a surprize to us even though most of them happened before there were any humans around.

STILL ... we know all kinds of things about what kinds of stars there are and what their life-spans look like, and just TONS of other things about how the cosmos is made up.

Related to Early galaxies in formative stages: where are they now?

1. What is an early galaxy in formative stage?

An early galaxy in formative stage refers to a galaxy that is in its early stages of development, typically within the first billion years after the Big Bang. During this time, galaxies were actively forming and evolving, and were much smaller and less structured than the galaxies we see today.

2. Where are these early galaxies located?

Early galaxies in formative stages are located throughout the universe, but they are primarily found in the early universe, which is defined as the first few billion years after the Big Bang. These galaxies are located in all directions and at various distances from Earth.

3. How do scientists study early galaxies in formative stages?

Scientists study early galaxies in formative stages through a variety of methods, including observations with telescopes, computer simulations, and analyzing light from distant objects. They also use information from the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the oldest light in the universe, to learn about the early universe and the formation of galaxies.

4. What can we learn from studying early galaxies in formative stages?

Studying early galaxies in formative stages can provide valuable insights into the evolution of the universe and the formation of galaxies. By studying how these galaxies formed and evolved, scientists can better understand the processes that led to the formation of the galaxies we see today.

5. Are there any early galaxies still in formative stages?

It is believed that there are still some early galaxies in formative stages in the universe, although they may be difficult to observe due to their distance from Earth. However, with advancements in technology and telescopes, scientists are continuously discovering and studying these galaxies to gain a better understanding of the early universe.