E to an imaginary power, equivalent expressions, inequal outcomes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation e^{i x}=cos(x)+i sin(x) and the validity of the expression a^{b c d}=(a^{b c})^d=(a^{b d})^c=(a^{c d})^b=(a^b)^{c d}=(a^c)^{b d}=(a^d)^{b c} for all values of a, b, c, and d where the original expression is defined. The conversation also includes a counterexample to show that this expression is not always true for all complex numbers. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement of the lack of understanding in proofs and a thank you to the forum.
daniel.e2718
I'm completely stumped. So is my high-school calculus teacher, but he hasn't done imaginary powers for forty-five years. Hopefully somebody can explain this...

To clarify, I understand the reasoning between the following equation:

[itex]e^{i x}=cos(x)+i sin(x)[/itex]

Now, I need to put some things on the table

First, do you agree that the following is true:

[itex]a^{b c d}=(a^{b c})^d=(a^{b d})^c=(a^{c d})^b=(a^b)^{c d}=(a^c)^{b d}=(a^d)^{b c}[/itex]

for all values of a, b, c, and d where the original expression is defined?

If not, tell me why...

If yes, let's continue.

I will now define a, b, c, and d.

[itex]a=e,b=\pi,c=i,d=\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

Now, we'll go through some of the above equal expressions

[itex]a^{b c d}=e^{\frac{\pi}{3} i}=cos(\frac{\pi}{3})+i sin(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{1}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=\frac{1+i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]

[itex](a^{b c})^d=(e^{\pi i})^{\frac{1}{3}}=(cos(\pi)+i sin(\pi))^{\frac{1}{3}}=((-1)+i*(0))^{\frac{1}{3}}=(-1)^{\frac{1}{3}}=-1[/itex]

[itex](a^{b d})^c=(e^{\frac{\pi}{3}})^i=(2.849653908\ldots)^i=\frac{1+i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]

[itex](a^{c d})^b=(e^{\frac{i}{3}})^\pi=(cos(\frac{1}{3})+i sin(\frac{1}{3}))^\pi=(0.944956946\ldots+0.327194697\ldots i)^\pi=\frac{1+i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]

I won't do any of the form (a^x)^(y z), because my problem is already present...

If the first expressions I mentioned are indeed equivalent, then why is the second one that I evaluated negative one?

It is completely confusing.

Oh, and hello to the forum for the first time :P

Mathematics news on Phys.org
daniel.e2718 said:
First, do you agree that the following is true:

[itex]a^{b c d}=(a^{b c})^d=(a^{b d})^c=(a^{c d})^b=(a^b)^{c d}=(a^c)^{b d}=(a^d)^{b c}[/itex]

No it's not. It is true for positive reals, but just because it is true for that doesn't mean it is true for all complex numbers.
It's easy to show that it fails because we have a counterexample: for an integer n
[itex]e^{1+2ni\pi} = e[/itex]
[itex](e^{1+2ni\pi})^{1+2ni\pi} = e[/itex]
Multiply the exponents out and divide by e
[itex]e^{-4\pi^2 n^2} = 1[/itex]
which is nonsense. I've left out some steps so its a good exercise to put them back in.

pwsnafu said:
No it's not. It is true for positive reals, but just because it is true for that doesn't mean it is true for all complex numbers.

Okay, that's what I was looking for. The last time I did anything with proofs was two years ago in 10th grade geometry, and it mostly fill-in-the-blank. Thanks though!

Related to E to an imaginary power, equivalent expressions, inequal outcomes?

1. What is "E to an imaginary power"?

"E to an imaginary power" refers to the mathematical expression e^ix, where e is the base of the natural logarithm and i is the imaginary unit (equal to the square root of -1). This expression is commonly used in complex analysis and has applications in physics and engineering.

2. How do you calculate "E to an imaginary power"?

The calculation of e^ix involves using Euler's formula, which states that e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where cos(x) and sin(x) represent the real and imaginary parts, respectively. This formula allows us to convert the complex expression e^ix into a trigonometric form, making it easier to calculate.

3. What are some equivalent expressions for "E to an imaginary power"?

Some equivalent expressions for e^ix include: cos(x) + i*sin(x), exp(ix), and cis(x). These expressions all represent the same complex number and can be used interchangeably in calculations.

4. Can "E to an imaginary power" result in unequal outcomes?

Yes, depending on the value of the exponent x, the expression e^ix can result in unequal outcomes. For example, when x = π, e^iπ equals -1, and when x = 2π, e^i2π equals 1. Therefore, the outcome of e^ix can vary depending on the specific value of x.

5. What are some applications of "E to an imaginary power"?

"E to an imaginary power" has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in complex analysis to study the behavior of complex functions, and it has applications in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. It is also used in signal processing and control systems to model complex waveforms.