E=mc^2 in 1,2,3,5,6 dimentions?

• Thread starter nabki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc^2
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the universe existing in a 4-D environment due to limitations in energy exchange and the concept of 5-D requiring too much energy. The idea of energy conservation and conversion is also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to the idea of the universe potentially being 5-D and how it could explain certain phenomena. The conversation is ultimately deemed to not have enough physics content and is locked.
nabki
maybe the universe works in a 4-D environment because a 3-D(two space axis, one time axis) environment will not allow sufficient energy exchange, and movement in 5-D needs too much energy? just some speculations... anyone more knowledgeable on this subject who can help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
nabki said:
maybe the universe works in a 4-D environment because a 3-D(two space axis, one time axis) environment will not allow sufficient energy exchange, and movement in 5-D needs too much energy? just some speculations... anyone more knowledgeable on this subject who can help me?
(my emphasis) The universe can't be in an environment. But I think I understand what you're speculating about.

I believe that it is not possible to get stable gravitational orbits in any configuration with more than three space and one time dimension. So a universe with say, four spatial dimensions would be doomed to kinetic chaos. Two spatial dimensions is not enough, so three seems to be the only possible number.

Off the top of my head, I'd say energy conservation is not a problem because energy is a scalar.

Last edited:
I don't mean energy conservation, i mean conversion from one for to annother.

nabki said:
I don't mean energy conservation, i mean conversion from one for to annother.
OK. Well, speculating about how things might be in a different universe from our own isn't really physics because we can't relate our theories to experiment.

As to why we observe 3+1 dimensions, physics probably can't answer that question except to say that's the only way it can be.

If you could show that energy conversion didn't add up in 6 dimensions, it still wouldn't be a 'reason' why we see 3+1 dimensions.

hmmmm... i agree.

what I am actualy thinking about is the universe actually being 5-D, which can help explain some things like why 90% of mass is unaccounted for and quantum entanglement. I'm letting my mind wander, so please remind me when I am not being realistic please.

Mentz114 said:
OK. Well, speculating about how things might be in a different universe from our own isn't really physics because we can't relate our theories to experiment.

I agree. It might qualify as philosophy if one invoked the anthropic principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Anthropic_principle&oldid=176543203

As-is, there isn't really enough physics content for the thread to meet our PF Guidelines , so I'm locking it.

Our guidelines are availabe at

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

or by clicking on "rules" at the top of the page.

Related to E=mc^2 in 1,2,3,5,6 dimentions?

1. What is the significance of E=mc^2 in different dimensions?

The equation E=mc^2, also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between mass and energy. In different dimensions, this equation remains the same and holds true, meaning that mass and energy are still interchangeable regardless of the number of dimensions.

2. How does E=mc^2 change in higher dimensions?

In higher dimensions, the equation E=mc^2 does not change. However, the interpretation of the equation may differ. In four dimensions (3 spatial + 1 time), the equation describes the relationship between the energy of a particle and its rest mass. In higher dimensions, it may describe the energy of a particle in relation to its mass in a higher dimensional space.

3. Can E=mc^2 be applied to all dimensions?

Yes, E=mc^2 can be applied to all dimensions. However, the interpretation of the equation may differ depending on the number of dimensions. In three dimensions, the equation describes the energy of a particle in relation to its mass. In higher dimensions, it may describe the energy of a particle in relation to its mass in a higher dimensional space.

4. What is the role of the speed of light in E=mc^2 in different dimensions?

The speed of light, represented by c, is a constant value that appears in the equation E=mc^2. In different dimensions, the value of c remains the same. This constant is important because it relates the energy of a particle to its mass and shows that even a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy when multiplied by the square of the speed of light.

5. Are there any implications of E=mc^2 in higher dimensions?

E=mc^2 has significant implications in higher dimensions. In four dimensions, it is a fundamental equation in special relativity, which describes the relationship between mass, energy, and the speed of light. In higher dimensions, it may have implications for theories such as string theory, where the energy of particles in higher dimensions is an important factor. Additionally, the concept of mass-energy equivalence is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in different dimensions.